1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which of your phrase-turns are you most proud of?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

I'm guessing Bumbleburg did not literally shoot the lights out. Do you know what the word literally means? You might think you do, but your lede suggests you don't.

Unless someone shot a gun at the lights and forced them to go out, this is another case of a writer turning figuratively into literally.

Sorry, just a huge pet peeve of mine.

2. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

most of us here are in the word business, and we like to think we can string some words together that impress. there's nothing wrong with turning phrases from time to time. sometimes they come naturally, sometimes you have to work at it. sometimes you work at it, and they don't work. sometimes you work at it, and they do work. it's all part of the process.

but when it comes to phrases, sentences, graphs you thought were stellar .. if you were to ask your boss about some of your best work, your boss will probably have a different story in mind than the one you do.

3. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Pet peeve of mine, too. It was literally a joke because I've seen that lede once a year or so in
    prep coverage.

4. joe

joe Active Member

In the late '90s, Vijay went low in the Masters first round to take an early lead, but then the rest of the day got washed out. My hedline: Singh, and then the rain.
    Rip away.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

6. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

we used VJ day as a headline once ... i know kinda weak. I like Singh, and then the rain better

7. Meatwad

Meatwad New Member

Ronde Barber had a big game last season, so I went with a "Barber's Shop" headline.

Yeah... that sounded better last year.

8. rgd

rgd Guest

I've also seen this type of lede a handful of times. I'm probably wrote a lead like that some years ago.

Would this be a better lede:

Bumbleburg shot the lights out Saturday night. Figuratively.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

No. There are times when

almost literally

works for me. I'm not sure if this is one of those times.

10. rgd

rgd Guest

I don't think it is either. Literally.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Remember when Kathy Lee Gifford sang the anthem at the Super Bowl a decade or so ago?

She was pretty much booed from the start, and it seemed tears were welling up.... either from the reception, or the upcoming unsurmountable high notes.

I wish I could recall who wrote it, but the next day I spilled java at "... her face dropped like the peso."

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I probably would have gone with ... Singh in in the rain.... if I was going for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted