1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which NFL teams will be looking for a new coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, with any/all of these jobs, if they want to hire a top candidate, they're gonna have to shell out some cash.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing KC would pay what it would take to get Cowher. It almost seems like they're clearing the path to make the job more attractive for him to take.

The best jobs are the ones with the teams that have hit bottom. The exceptions are teams like the Raiders and Bengals, who have such bad ownership in place. But Cowher could go into KC and have them at 8-8 or 7-9 next season and in the playoffs the next, he could look like a genius.

Just look at what's happened in Miami and Atlanta in the past year.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If Cowher takes the Cleveland job, he might as well change his name to Turkey Jones.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No way does he go to Cleveland. He doesn't need the headache of going back to Pittsburgh once a year.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Sean Payton is good to go for next year, but the natives are starting to get a little restless. This team is way too talented to be sitting at 7-7 right now and all but out of the playoffs.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No doubt the success of Mike Smith in Atlanta and John Harbaugh will encourage owners to hire assistants.
    I think keeping Haslett in St. Louis would be a good move. The team is for sale, a coach won't want to sign a three-year deal only to have new bosses before the ink is dry.
    I don't know what is going on in San Fran. I don't know if they have a long-term plan there in the front office.
    Oakland is a mess, Al usually veers between young up and comer and tired retread so maybe Dennis Green gets another shot.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I doubt the Rams keep Haslett. He hasn't done such an amazing job that it is worth the league office jumping on them about a potential Rooney Rule violation. Very good defensive coordinator. Nothing special as a head coach.

I think Singletary has shown more and unlike Haslett, he isn't a retread. Also, no Rooney Rule issues because he is a minority.

Cowher may not want the headache in Cleveland, but I doubt he would pass just because he doesn't want to deal with going back to Pittsburgh once a year.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The rest of the NFC South is too strong this year. Saints should overtake Tampa, though, given the Bucs have a stout defense and - to use BYH's term - a popgun offense.

New Orleans has more talent on offense than Atlanta, but Falcons are executing a somewhat vanilla offense very, very well. Also, defense doesn't make too many dumb mistakes.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is Cowher still living in Raleigh? If he's married to staying down South, his options are pretty limited.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct ... and none of those spots are opening.

Suffice it to say, the John Fox rumors are further gone than the economy. And somehow, I take Bill Cowher to be smarter than to join Dan Snyder's circus should he get a itchy trigger finger with Jim Zorn.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oakland
    Kansas City
    San Diego
    Buffalo
    Indianapolis
    Cleveland
    St. Louis
    Seattle
    Detroit
    Washington
    Dallas

It'll also be interesting to see what happens if the Jets and Bucs miss the playoffs. There seemed to be some smoke to the Gruden-to-U of Tennessee rumors. Obviously, that's not going to happen, but Gruden strikes me as a guy who can wear on people...and he's been there seven years already and has yet to win a playoff game with His Guys. Maybe, now that Kiffin is gone, the Bucs start fresh.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Miss the playoffs?

But but but they have Brett and seven Pro Bowlers!

Draft saved Draft deleted