1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which newspaper websites remain free?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Dec 15, 2013.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

From what I can tell, the Washington Post remains free to read, and locally, the Albany (NY) Times-Union is.

It seems Anchorage still is.

Over the last couple of years, though, a lot of formerly free-to-read sites have gone to pay.

I am not complaining, but wondering which other ones remain free.

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

I believe SF Chronicle has taken down its pay wall and gone back to free.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I pay for one newspaper's print and digital subscription. I pay for another's partial print subscription.
    Other than that, I'm done paying any newspaper subscription fees for Web sites.
    Reasonable facsimiles of most papers' content can be found on free sites or excerpted sufficiently on blogs.
    Those determined to charge me do not get my money, my clicks or my eyeballs. Oh well.

4. joe

joe Active Member

St. Louis Post-Dispatch is still free. Florida Times-Union is still free.

K.C. Star behind a pay wall sometimes, sometimes not.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Screwball: I remember they had none, then put one up. Thanks.

joe: Post-Dispatch surprises me. I didn't even look there. I assumed all Lee papers had pay walls. I did read K.C. for a while.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Florida Times-Union has a very limited number of "free" stories, then everything is behind the paywall.

Chicago Tribune is free for breaking news and gives you five free per month of its digital plus stories.

7. CNY

CNY Member

The Post does have a paywall, but it allows 20 free articles a month.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

My old paper (as of last Friday), the Chattanooga Times Free Press, gives you 20 (I think) free clicks before asking for cash.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm curious...... has anyone here ever purchased an on-line subscription? Either newspaper, magazine, web only (like ESPN.com insider)? If so, did you feel like it was worth what you spent?

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Mark: I pay for the New York Times, and I find it well worth it, just because there is so much stuff there.

(I also live in upstate, so there are some local stories for me).

When I could afford a couple subscriptions, I did pay for The Boston Globe and/or The Day of New London, where I used to work.

Before I joined my current paper, I also subscribed there.

Usually,I would try to get in on the specials (3 months/99 cents a month).

But the short answer is, for me, the Times is well-worth the money. That is the only one I have now.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I have several online subs to magazines and papers, and also pay monthly for PressReader, which is a joy for me to use.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Yeah. NY Times too. At less than 60 cents a day, an incredible bargain.

Have a domestic subscription to the New Yorker but read the digital edition because international print subscriptions are incredibly expensive.

Draft saved Draft deleted