1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Network will get the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Eager to hear how much each one bid. After Comcast/NBC lost out on the recent college football biddings, it probably threw everything including the kitchen sink to keep the Olympics.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't know if FOX or ESPN would have been better, but I was ready to see someone else give it a try.

Maybe Comcast will be different. Ebersol is out.

Based on his participation in the Maccabiah Games, I would bet Brian Roberts has a reverence for the Olympics. I hope it shows.

3. MileHigh

It would be nice if they showed some stuff live to all time zones and get out of the 1970s approach to sports television.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They should be able to do both and have been able to do both for 20 years now, with the prime-time programs appealing to totally different audiences.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The new merged Comcast-NBC has many more cable channels available for sports content because of all Comcast's regional channels. So they would be easily able to show all events live and taped highlights on NBC proper in prime time if they wish. By 2014, fans are probably going to be able to access foreign live broadcasting through the Internet anyway, laws or no laws, so they might as well.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Can we get Keith Olberman back to MSNBC in time to anchor the midnight Olympic show?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If they bought four games -- the location of which only two are known -- do we think they got some sort of guarantee that one of the other two games will be in the USA or at least North America?

If they didn't, I hope they at least signed a deal with the numbers contingent on what time zone the games are in.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They've had plenty of channel space available for a long time now, especially since the Universal deal.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't believe NBC would sign up for the next decade or more without acknowledging the need to be live and change its old ways. Also, I'm sure Comcast will jack up the rights fees on a whole lot of its cable stations in anticipation of the Olympics and recoup money that way, as ESPN does. In fact I predict that it will come down to a week before Olympics as to whether subscribers will see full coverage, with Comcast wanting a certain per-subscriber price for some of its channels and DirecTV, Dish and the others unwilling to pay it.

10. MileHigh

They didn't get a guarantee in 1995 when it snapped up 2000 to 2008 and didn't know where 2004 (Athens), 2006 (Turin) and 2008 (Beijing) were going to be held.

Rio will essentially be a domestic Games (one hour ahead of the East Coast but don't expect live coverage in the MDT and PDT time zones). Sochi is +9. 2018 is going to Europe or South Korea. U.S. plans no bid for 2020 after the bitch-slap Chicago took.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

From a time zone perspective, Rio in 2016 suits U.S. television just fine. The Winter Olympics are going to go to that South Korean town in 2018, I think, which leaves Comcast with the 2020 Games as the only one left in the deal. This is likely to be another Asian host. They've got the money and the infrastructure.

12. MileHigh

Sandomir: NBC got the four Games for $4.3 billion.

ESPN only bid for 2014 and 2016 -- for $1.4 billion. Thanks for coming. Enjoy the plane ride home.

Fox put in a bid for 2014 and 2016 and also a bid for all four but no dollar amount has been leaked.

Draft saved Draft deleted