1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Network will get the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

But News Corp. is not as diverse as GE or Disney (theme parks, merchandising,movies, cartoons, etc.). For a company like GE that makes a lot of money through defense and manufacturing, the Olympics were a no-brainer.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The big question: Will ABC/ESPN use ABC at all, or will they throw everything on cable like they basically have with all of their other non-NBA sports properties (including the BCS ... that no major bowl games are on broadcast TV is beyond ridiculous).

If there's no OTA network TV presence, then the IOC should choose someone else.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've read ABC would be used as a replay/packaged content home for prime time.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The London Games in 2012 start July 27 and run through mid August. A nice time frame for US audiences, although in a global competition like this they have to move things around at times.

5. MileHigh

Rio will be closer to Beijing: Aug. 5 to 21.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Rio's in the Southern Hemisphere. Suprised it's not in September.

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I would like to see Oprah's network get the Olympics. That would be stellar.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe Al Gore will bid on it and make KO the anchor.

9. MileHigh

IOC liked Fox's presentation, according to reports. It's bidding for two and four Games, but prefers four Games. I bet you can get all four for $5 billion to $5.25 billion.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Rio's close to the tropics, so the seasons don't matter much. It would be like being in Miami in February.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As much as I bash NBC, I'd cringe thinking of the crew Fox would bring to the table. Chris Meyers in the Costas/Jim McKay role? Joe Buck doing track or swimming? Terry Bradshaw doing gymnastics? Gus Johnson would have to do weightlifting - AND IT'S UP!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! Darrell Waltrip on bicycling - BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY!
    I could see Murdoch doing it - just to do it, but Fox doesn't need it.

ESPN has more people that would be less annoying - Saunders or Musberger (you are looking LIVE at Copacabana Beach!) would be decent as the host, figure Chris Fowler could do pretty much anything, Tirico, Dan Schulman, Scott Van Pelt, Nessler...

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, but could you imagine outdoor events in Miami in August?

Draft saved Draft deleted