1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which major college athletic programs honor minorities with year-long series?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by edemire, Oct 9, 2011.

1. edemire

edemire New Member

I read a fascinating Yahoo Sports piece about Darrell Brown [see below], the first black football player at the University of Arkansas, and it sparked a couple questions I was hoping you all could help with:

1) Brown was honored during halftime of a UA game as part of a year-long Razorback Athletics Trailblazer Series, in which different minority pioneers in different UA sports are ceremoniously honored and given some kind of token of appreciation (in Brown's case, a football jersey).

Have other athletic programs held similar trailblazer-type series? I'm especially interested in whether other colleges in the South have done this.

2) If you read the piece, you'll notice former UA athletic director/head coach Frank Broyles doesn't comment, although he watched Brown get essentially abused (physically and verbally) for more than a year on the practice field.
    Broyles also repeatedly declined comment in Rus Bradburd's Nolan Richardson biography on his past behavior regarding racial topics.

I think it could mean a lot if Broyles simply acknowledged all this happened to Brown, he watched it happened (and, according to Bradburd's book, joined in the verbal abuse) and uttered an apology for that.

Is this kind of extreme recalcitrance somewhat typical among the old-guard ADs and head football coaches from the South (Broyles is from Georgia)?
    That is, I'm pretty sure Broyles' behavior during the mid-1960s was fairly typical in the South given his background and the culture of the area.
    But what about how he's dealt with questions regarding that behavior in the last couple decades?

Have/did other similar authority figures (say, Bear Bryant or Darrell Royal) openly answer not-always-flattering questions about the way they personally treated African-Americans in the 1950s and 1960s and any role they had in delaying integration of their athletic programs?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-wetzel_brown_arkansas_football_trailblazer100711

Draft saved Draft deleted