1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

which laptop should I get?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by King_Cecil, Oct 22, 2006.

1. King_Cecil

King_Cecil Member

I'm getting a laptop, and I need some feeback as to which one you think I should get. I will be covering D-1 football, basketball, nhl and recruiting. I mostly write, but will do occaisonal design. The computer will be my everything computer- home, work, leasure, etc. Have it narrowed down to these two:

MacBook. 13 inch screen, core duo, 5.2 lbs, cd burner, pretty much everything I need. $1299.

Sony VAIO. 15 inch screen core duo, 6.8 lbs, cd burner, again, pretty much everything I need. $1349.

I guess the difference is I wonder if lugging around the sony would suck. I also like the Mac because it's hard for it to get viruses which is important since I'll be using the web a lot. On the other hand, it's a 13 inch screen and that might annoy me after some time. Just curious what you guys think and if any of you have been in a similar position before.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i have the old 12" ibook, and i prefer the 12" screen to bigger ones. it's big enough for me and keeps the unit smaller. great size. the only way i'd want a bigger one is if i were a photog, and since i've had no recent head injuries, i don't think i'm gonna be doing that

3. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

The Macbook is really, really awesome. The 13-inch screen is definitely big enough. Save the $$ and get the Mac.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Plus with the Mac you can now run Windows in addition to the cool Apple stuff.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

i'm a full-time photog and I think the screen is just fine. I don't do serious editing work on it, but that's a calibration issue, not a size issue.

You'll be very, very happy with a Macbook.

6. Cowboycane

Cowboycane Member

The mac is the way to go. get the applecare too. It's a tad pricey, but if it ever goes down, the customer service is incredible, and you'll have it back to you in a day or two.

7. lono

lono Active Member

Ditto.

My Mac's hard-drive crashed after a year of savage abuse.

With AppleCare it was replaced no questions asked within 48 hours.

8. Stupid

Stupid Member

Agreed. And it still looks and sounds strange to think of Mac being cheaper.

I've had a G4 Powerbook 12" for a couple of years now and I'm very happy with it even if it is "obsolete" now that Apple has gone to the Intel chips.

You just grab a cheap used crt monitor and hook it up for more space in your home office. those 17" laptops seem like wasted space to me.

9. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

was convinced on here last year to get a mac and have loved it. will never buy anything else. hasn't crashed once, runs everything i need and haven't had to worry about viruses since.

once you go mac...

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

The one that's not a Dell.

11. lono

lono Active Member

If you travel a lot, size matters. Smaller is better.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I bet you hear that a lot. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted