1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which game would you want to cover?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Yeah, for all those people who responded, I made a mistake...

The baseball game is at the powerhouse's field who has lights, but the visiting team has never played under lights. Last year the game was 2-1 in favor of the powerhouse. They got invited back this year to play under the lights, rather than the day.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You only play under the lights for the first time once...the lax powerhouses play every year, so blah on that.

Then again, I'd have to choose baseball because I don't know the first thing about lax. Except that it can be abbreviated "lax."

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I updated my first post with the sentences in bold that could change some answers.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I would pick baseball, but I guess that's mostly because I have never complained about covering a baseball game in my life. I would rather go to the ballpark than just about anything else in the world. Sex is the only thing definitely better, and a fun day in the mountains topped with a good beer by the campfire is in the conversation.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

When it comes to road and home games. We always cover home events (aside from playoffs).

I don't think you can justify to readers, teams (nor management sometimes) driving X amount of out of town when someone plays at home at the same time.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Both games are away. The underdog baseball team and the underdog lacrosse team are our home schools. Unfortunately I cannot go to both games, since they are at the same time, so I must decide.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Go to the better game, which I guess would be lacrosse.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Go to the lacrosse game so that if a team wins with a flood of goals, you can run the headline "Lax-ative"

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Back to my original answer: Baseball. I'm just guessing it has to have the bigger following. They were "invited" to play under the lights (first game of the season?) so the "host" must have some respect for them. They lost 2-1 last year, so both teams may use that (winner embarrassed, loser thinking "oh, so close). Lots of stuff points to baseball.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mayfly hit the ground here running yesterday. He drove 8 hours, had some lunch, got his place to stay, then covered a baseball game; wrote a gamer and a nice sidebar that I think people will appreciate. That's the go-getter spirit newbies could learn from.

BTW, he struggled to come to a decision, then chose the lax game. If I weren't here 18 hours putting out the paper, I would have gone to the baseball game. Oh well.

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Honestly, I'd go to the one that looks to be more competitive, or has the bigger chance for an upset.
    I don't know how likely upsets are in lacrosse, but I'd pick baseball. lways some dumbe luck involved where the underdog's Joe Schmoe pitches the game of his life and his team wins 1-0

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ask May what happened when he got to his destination ...

Draft saved Draft deleted