1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which current NFL players will make it to Canton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 30, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

John Riggins last played in 1985, that is not the last 25 years.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In today's NFL, Reed and Polamalu are locks.

If I was a betting man, here are my current player picks to eventually make the HOF. I may have left a few off, but I like these players' chances.
    Asomugha
    Baily
    Brady
    Brees
    Favre
    Fitz (needs a QB)
    Gates
    Hutchinson (the HOF needs more linemen)
    Hester
    C. Johnson
    Lewis
    J. Long
    Manning
    Moss
    Owens
    Polamalu
    Reed
    Revis
    Roethlisberger
    LT
    Suh
    Thomas
    Urlacher
    Ware
    Wayne
    R. White
    Woodson

Fred Taylor, Ronde and Hines with outside chances although I really think Hines will be in. His blocking and physical play gives him an added edge.

3. 93Devil

Rivers should probably be on that list as well. If Fouts is in, Rivers will get in.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Polamalu is not a lock.

If his career ends today, he's not in the HoF.

I know I am mixing strong and free safeties, but Ed Reed is much more of a play maker. He's about the same age as Polamalu and in a different league -- way more interceptions plus he can run back the football. They've both been injured, but Reed has stayed on the field more and done way more statswise than Polamalu.

Brian Dawkins in his prime was more intimidating than Polamalu. For all of Polamalu's reputation, Dawkins makes more tackles and hit harder in his prime. And Dawkins has had the longevity Polamalu is going to need to eventually be in a legitimate discussion.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I do not necessarily disagree with your analysis, Ragu. Dawkins is/was one hell of a player. But Polamalu was a big contributor on two Super Bowl champs, and that has always been a disproportionately important factor in the committee's voting. If we're arguing merit, ignore me. If we're making predictions, that needs to be taken into account.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

See Gee's point on Polamalu.

If you are going to compare Polamalu and Reed on their ability to make big plays, you can't just figure in interceptions. Not if you want to be accurate. Polamalu is much better as a playmaker on the blitz than Reed.

Yes, Reed gets more interceptions, but he is in position to get more as a free safety than Polamalu is as a strong safety. When you figure in things like impact on run defense and importance to his team, Polamalu is the better player when healthy. If you factor in health, it goes to Reed.

7. 93Devil

Polamalu is the best player on the best defense of the last decade. He's in.

In the world where he never plays another down of football, then we can have another debate, but right now, he is on the road to Canton.

You want to argue that the Ravens are the best defense of the last decade? Sure. Lewis and Reed are in.

Ragu, are you saying that Polamalu cannot run back the football? Joe Flacco does not argree.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Portis has no shot. He is done.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Ah. Thought he said inducted. Rather convenient cutoff considering going one year more and you have someone.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agree completely that Martin should be in, and think he will get in at some point. My description of him as "borderline" was based on some other discussions of his case that I've heard the last few years.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Rivers will be in if his career continues its current arc for another 6-8 years. But the above reasoning makes absolutely no sense.

12. 93Devil

Huge passing numbers for a team in San Diego that never makes a Super Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted