1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which current NFL players will make it to Canton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 30, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I didn't reply because I wasn't sure if Blitz was blue-fonting us there or not ...

2. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Wayne SHOULD get in, as he is one of the most overlooked receivers in the last 20 years. He is reliable, makes the catches and doesn't cause distractions ... which brings me to T.O., and the knock on him is how he has always been selfish and a drama queen and a stat monger.

Wayne's stats are pretty good and he's only 32, so if he sticks around with Peyton he will keep moving on up:

- 787 catches, 10,748 yards ... he is currently No. 28 in NFL history in yards, and he's had at least 1,200 yards in five of the last seven seasons. He's also had six straight seasons of at least 80 receptions.

And when you think of Harrison, you have to think of Wayne (and vice versa). They helped each other and are one of the best duos in NFL history (and won a ring together).

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I really disagree with his Steven Jackson stance. He says, "With 2,052 yards, he gets to 10,000. Then he would become a sure candidate."

Umm not even close. Plenty have gotten to 10,000 since the 90s and Jackson has not done anything in playoffs. He has never led the league in anything, crossed 1,200 yards just three times, made just three pro bowls and has a pedestrian yards per rush average.

I don't seem being close at all. He would have to have the best age 27-32 span in history to get in. He either needs a 2,000 yard season followed by two more 1,500 or the Rams win two Super Bowls where he dominates or have 5-6 more 1,000 yard seasons or something else that is a near lock to not happen.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Another note on Jackson ... Fred Taylor has almost 12,000 and Thomas Jones is over 10,000. No one considers them worthy.

I'm thinking of players who should have been on the list in some way. So far I've got:

Clinton Portis: Just under 10,000 yards and just 29

Anquan Boldin: More than 1,000 yards per season after eight years.

John Abraham: More than 100 sacks and still going strong at 32.

I'm sure there are others at OL, DT and LB that I'm not going to take the time to go through every teams roster right now to look for.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Reed is more of a traditional safety and damn good at it. He was not and is not the cornerstone of that defense. That would be Ray Lewis. Hell, Ngata is more important to what they do, too.

Polamalu is a freak and when he is healthy, he covers up for quite a bit in that Pittsburgh defense. He doesn't get as many interceptions as Reed, but part of that is because they are used differently. I just wonder if he has missed too much time. Just because he has been hurt so much, I'd say Reed gets in first even though I don't think he makes the same impact when you compare them both at their best.

That said, I don't think sgreenwell's Ronnie Lott comparison holds up at all. Neither one is as good as Lott was and neither was an elite corner before moving to safety as Lott did.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Reed's career TD totals on defense and as a return man ought to make any argument a short one. Defensive touchdowns are the ultimate big plays.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Polamalu will be a short argument, too.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I wonder if he is giving Jackson the Floyd Little treatment...ie, yeah the numbers don't scream Hofer, but if you watch him play, know he put up yards on bad teams, etc. nudge. That being said there is a long line of RBs I would place before.

I think Abraham could have a good case based on his sack coverage...

I will throw another name out there....Mario Williams. I would say he is trending toward HOF.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Mario is trending towards but he doesn't have the time in. If you include guys who haven't played a long time yet you double the list. AP, Patrick Willis, Joe Thomas, Roddy White, MJD ... etc.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not to mention Curtis Martin, who is considered borderline despite being fourth all-time in yards, played in a Super Bowl, won a rushing title and also has surprisingly good receiving stats.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Joe Thomas, if he continues to perform at the level he has in his first five years in the NFL, is a lock. One of the most underrated draft picks of the last five years.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If Cam Newton lives up to his draft pick, he'll be in the Hall of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted