1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which current NFL players will make it to Canton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/story/15276957/to-among-handful-of-active-players-with-canton-credentials

I love these debates.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love the No Way on McNabb... I completely agree.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If McNabb came back and did something for another team, got it into the playoffs or like that, he'd become a borderline candidate. But that is unlikely to say the least. Last year was his shot.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

PS: If Ed Reed is "on the bubble" they might as well shut the Hall down, or at least remove every member of the selection committee for gross incompetence. As usual, a key point in the football Hall dynamic is ignored. There's a minimum number of four guys who must be elected each year. So more players regarded as borderline today will get in than most folks expect.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I so agree with this.

I've said it before. Fifteen years from now, my memory of Donovan McNabb will be a sharp sideline pass thrown at his receiver's feet. (That, or blowing cookies in the huddle during the biggest game of his life.)

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'll remember his six or eight Pro Bowls and the Super Bowl when they had less talent than their opponent, and lost. I'll remember the excitement he generated at Syracuse.
    The cookies will tend to resonate more, I think, with the short-sighted people who choose to lump Donovan in with the high number of truly shit-headed athletes that play pro sports.
    Donovan's done pretty well off the field and as a "team player" I think.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

For the purposes of this debate, I don't care about how well he's done off the field. "Team player," yes. Off the field, no.

re blowing cookies: Perception is everything.

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Based on your criteria (multiple Pro Bowls, lost a Super Bowl to an better team), you would also have to make a strong case for Steve McNair being in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Or Boomer Esiason. Or Drew Bledsoe. Or Ken Anderson. Also, using the Pro Bowl as a gauge of anything is pretty much useless - because of the number of players who drop out with mystery injuries, most QBs with decent numbers wind up as "Pro Bowlers" now.

And Don McPherson generated a lot of excitement at Syracuse, too...

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Don't get Blitz started on the immortal Steve McNair.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I agree with the no on McNabb. One of these pretty good players who were never really great. He never had the greatest receivers, but he had some pretty good ones. Look at current QBs who will get in over him, probably including Rivers, Brees, and Rodgers over time (along with locks like Brady and Manning).

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I don't think any of the players you mentioned there should be in the Hall. Not even my homeboy and acquaintance Steve McNair. The various Halls should be reserved for the elite and we're seeing a dumbing down of criteria, which I am not in favor of.
    I don't think McNabb should be in the Hall, but he would be at the front of that list you just gave, with the best chance to get in.
    Drew Brees is fast becoming a sure thing, and Peyton is already there with Brady. No other starting QBs are close yet. Eli can sniff it now, but thats about it as he would have to do a lot more to make it.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What is Eli sniffing? It sure isn't the hall of fame. As much as it pains me Rapeliberger is close if not a certainty to get in.

Draft saved Draft deleted