1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which college town papers are the least biased or homerish?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by King Of All Media, Apr 8, 2008.

1. I'm curious what some on the board think. When I was covering colleges, I was always surprised and embarrassed at how homerish the college town papers were, even with beat writers and columnists who are old enough to know better.

What are the best and most fair college-town papers?

2. I'd say it'll be a while before the Ann Arbor News is accused of homerism.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Lexington
    Ann Arbor
    Madison
    Boulder
    Louisville
    Eugene

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No. 5 should be disqualified on the basis of the town having a life beyond the U of L

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

True, but it's not exactly a pro town.

6. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

The Athens paper is surprisingly unbiased, at least on football and hoops.

The State does a pretty good job.

I only agree with Lexington because of Tipton. Their football coverage is pretty homerish.

7. I think you see that a lot in college towns where the deck is essentially stacked against one of the teams - how do you in good conscience rip Kentucky football, grasping as you would have to the ceiling it has in the SEC?

8. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Point taken. But you can sometimes tell how devastated the writers are when the football team loses a tough one.

9. Yeah, if that happens, that's not what I'm talking about. You sure it's not mock devastation? I mean, we get pissed when our team plays poorly - but we're more pissed at bad basketball, or seeing the same mistake made over and over, than we are because we're upset about it. We're insulted as consumers.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Disagree immensely. Chip Cosby is a good writer (and not a UK fan by any stretch) and John Clay and Mark Story are solid as well.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

After the whole academics series? Ann Arbor? Really? I donno. I don't read it a lot. I could be wrong.

12. GoDeacs

GoDeacs New Member

Sure as hell ain't Columbus.

I agree with Athens and Columbia.

Draft saved Draft deleted