1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which college team that has won a national title will NEVER win one again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 24, 2013.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ole Miss claims three national titles from the John Vaught era (1959, 1960, 1962) and hasn't really accomplished anything outstanding since integration. No back-to-back 10-win seasons since Vaught, no finish in national top 10 much less the top 5, no SEC championship game appearances and has not played in a BCS bowl.

Smallish stadium (60,500 or so), limited media market (hello, Memphis!) and the stigma of Mississippi history that seems to complicate a lot of out-of-state recruiting.

Playing in a division with three teams that simply will not stand to be left out of the national championship discussion for more than a season or two, it's hard to see the Rebels ever hoisting a national title trophy.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sutherland also was paying players back then, which was even more controversial back then, because you had people who actually believed in the purity in amateurism bullshit.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've said this before here, but it's a damn good thing for the SEC and everybody else that the Ivies DON'T care about big-time football. If Yale and Harvard poured their matchless financial resources into the sport, their teams could beat the Bucs, let alone Alabama.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If Yale and Harvard cared about big-time football, they'd probably realize it's a better investment to BUY the Bucs and pour the profits back into the rowing program, or whatever stuffy sports Nigel Stuffingham III and his ilk get their jollies from.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hard to say that when they've made a Final Four appearance in recent memory (hard to believe it's already been 10 years since that happened) and are a tournament regular. They've been a pretty solid program. Wouldn't take much, maybe another Dwyane Wade-type talent and a few lucky breaks, to put them back in the mix.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Canuckistani football division: University of Toronto

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Right. I don't think you can really throw a team that makes regular NCAA tournament appearances (and often goes deep) onto that pile.

Marquette was in the Elite Eight last year and has been in the Sweet 16 three straight years.

Of course, I did the same thing with NC State a few pages back, but that's mainly because they are currently coached by Mark Gottfried.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's hard to say... Colorado is 12 years removed from being a fraction away from playing for the national title. The program has been completely in the shitter for most of the time since then, so it's hard to imagine them getting back there...

I could see Marquette winning another title. You add one top recruit to an already solid team and stuff can happen. The program is at least consistently good. I'd bet on Marquette winning another title before I would bet on NC State or Maryland.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Putting athletes on athletic scholarships would be a start... But you're right. If some of the Ivy schools do that, they could build something similar to what Stanford and Duke have. Not that that would happen overnight...

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

BU and Northeastern football, too.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It'd be pretty close, though. Harvard decided to care about basketball and within three years, they were dominating the Ivy League. You can be as dumb as a box of rocks and if Harvard, Yale or another Ivy recruited you and you had an athletic scholarship, you'd sign on the dotted line in a nanosecond. The contacts alone would be worth the 2.1 GPA.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Disagree. They're going to be very good for the foreseeable future. They found the right coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted