1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

where's your refund going?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, Jan 31, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm using the vast majority for my car loan, as I've done for the past two years. After that, I'll pay off my Best Buy Credit Card and possibly make a small payment in addition to my monthly payment on the engagement ring I bought in October.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If you've got that much left on your student loans, I'd probably make the car loan more of a priority until you're really, really close to paying off the student loan. The interest isn't terribly high, but you're still saving yourself money by making bigger payments toward the car loan so the interest doesn't rack up so much in the meantime.

Depending on how much you're paying per month for your student loans -- aren't most people paying like $50-150? -- you've probably still got a few years left. If you had maybe $1,000 or $1,500 left in student loans, to where you can see the end of the line within a dozen payments or so, then maybe it's time to pay as much as you can to get rid of it quickly. But not with $4K, IMO. Take advantage of the low interest rate and focus on the car loan until you're closer to the finish line.

Just my two cents, anyway. Normally, I'd be in favor of paying everything off, smallest to largest, to get rid of them quicker. But Cadet's right: student loans are an exception to that rule.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I'm really scared about this year's taxes.

I have $7,750 in untaxed earnings from the Wheel of Fortune. I've earned income in three states with four employers.

I do have moving expenses. And a mortgage. Maybe that will help.

Should be interesting.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It also can be used if you are planning something medical that is not covered by your insurance, like laser eye surgery.

5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

What is this refund of which you speak? I'm hoping not to have to cough up too much, an added cost of being single and renting my apartment. I must be doing something wrong.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Color me jealous.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Thanks for the advice! It's stuff like this why I will never leave SportsJournalists.com :D

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

That's possible. Your circumstances sound similar to mine over the last few years and I've always had a refund coming or paid a nominal amount ($70ish) to the state.

And if there's something wrong with being single and renting an apartment, then I don't want to be right.

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

Temple dues, down payment for the wife's new car. The rest, about $4K, into savings.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's what I've always screamed. Don't give the government an interest-free loan. INVEST that money. And watch your $2,400 refund be worth $1,100. Oops.

Not the best year to make that argument, Junkie.

In my case, my crystal ball doesn't work. I didn't know on Jan. 1, 2008 that I would be married at the end of 2008. And it's probably not kosher to adjust your withholding from single to married until you are, you know, actually married.

Thus, instead of owing a couple hundred dollars, I'll get back $2,600.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Because I spent my part of the the lump sum we get in January far more wisely (paying down debt) than I would the extra $5 or so that would be on my check every other week if I adjusted my withholdings, as you suggest.

What works best for me might not work best for you, and vice-versa.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Anyone going to the strip club to make it rain?

Draft saved Draft deleted