1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

where's your refund going?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've never had an employer give me a dime toward a move, so I've always been able to deduct moving expenses on my taxes.

Like others, I'm not a big fan of big tax refunds. That means I did something wrong. State and federal combined, I might get a few hundred back.

I also do my boyfriend's taxes, and for that service he'll be taking me to dinner with his refund. :)

2. jps

jps Active Member

it gets pretty damn cold there, and the town can drag after, oh, 2 hours. so that's very humanitarian of you, petty. just send it to their home address this time around, huh?

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm going to try to hold on to it as long as possible until I get a job.

If I get a job soon after I get my refund, then I'm going to try to have that money tide me over until I get my first paycheck.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Part of mine will be a PS3, the rest will make a big lump payment on student loans.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Some will be set aside for property taxes, some will be used for game tickets and the rest will be put in savings.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did you travel for your interview(s)?

There should be a pile of deductions for you. I would find an accountant that does taxes on the side. Just ask around work. They will probably be better than Block and cheaper.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You can't buy a bank, silly.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Ever been to a hobby shop, muthafucka? HO scale, bitch. It'll complete the set, and my entire fucking set of Burlington Northern freights trains will finally be on line. I'll never have to come out of the basement again. I'll just live amongst the tiny people for the rest of my days, even if they see me as nothing more than a monster from the plasticy, gooey sea.

Have I said too much?

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Uh ... no. Not at all.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It'll go towards my car (payment, insurance, etc). Whatever is left after I make a three-month payment and possibly three months of insurance will go in the bank.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

1/3 = savings
    1/3 = a new recliner
    1/3 = credit cards

Draft saved Draft deleted