1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where's my job? Where's my award?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Apr 29, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The reporter I'd hired when I was at my old shop won a first place award in our regional press association some months after he'd left. I carried it in my car with me to make sure that I could give it to him. When I took my car in for service, the only thing I took out of that car was the award. Then I gave it to him when he returned to the office.

As if The Tribune weren't already being douchebaggy enough, this takes the fucking cake.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

At a previous job I was told we couldn't take them because they were property of the newspaper.

3. We get fancy 8x11 pieces of paper from the WVPA when we win awards.
    If the paper wins an award (like best issue or section) they put in a plaque and hang it in the newsroom.
    Any individual winners are given their "awards" to do with as they please.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Classless move. Although I know one radio station where management tried to keep THE CHECKS won by departed staffers in a contest.

But I've got to say, who keeps their awards? Unless it's the Pulitzer or something big -- do you really have these local press club knick-knacks collecting dust on one of your shelves?

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Well played. Unlike Jane Hirt ...

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This appears on Romenesko's site under the item linking to the Chicago Reader blog:

> UPDATE: I asked Hirt if she wanted to respond to Miner's post. Her one-word e-mailed reply: "Nope."
    > UPDATE II: Hirt says she's changed her mind and gives this response: "I do regret the awkward moment at the Lisagors. I didn't see Missy in the crowd, and I wanted to pick up the plaque to make sure she got it. When she arrived at the stage at the same time I did, I handed her the plaque. I wasn't planning on keeping it for the Tribune."

OK, I'll believe that she didn't intend to keep it -- why bother, what does the Tribune want with another wooden plaque? I also can believe that the editor took it on herself to grab up the award since she figured Isaacson probably wouldn't be in attendance. Having just been, y'know, dumped by her newspaper.

But I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little extra spring in Hirt's step in grabbing the plaque to move the proceedings along and not prolong a moment focused on a freshly laid-off Tribune journalist.

(Props to Romenesko, too, the Update I and Update II format for transparency's sake.)

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ZING!

8. Taylee

Taylee Member

Couple years back, our paper won an advertising award for best new idea, which was mine and involved sports, and Sales Director called me to tell me it won $500. Great, we'll split it. She laughed and hung up on me.
    Two years later, we won same award, again the idea came from me and involved sports, new Sales Director called and told me to come get the $500 because it was our dept.'s to do as we pleased. It paid our softball entry fee and two cases of beer each week during the season. Money well spent.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Total lack of class by the Tribune higher-up. When she saw Melissa she should have pounced up and waved her over and given her the fucking award. You all get on me for blasting higher ups. You tell me that 80 percent of them or more are not classless trashbags. This proves it again. Classless move, Tribune ME.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Won a Scripps award that me and two other guys had published during my next to last week at one of the aforementioned chain's papers.
    Got an email from the boss man telling me we had won, with no mention of the cash prize that came along with it. Thankfully, I was good friends with the other two guys and they each cut me a check for my share of the money.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

bastard publisher at my last stop tried to say i couldn't take my plaques with me when i left because they belonged to the newspaper. just showed how small he is. one of my former reporters was going to steal them for me until i finally did manage to get my hands on them.

on the up side, that publisher was shown the door earlier this month. they played it off as "leaving to pursue other business opportunities" but everyone could read between the lines.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's great inspiration to "the troops" when they see a bunch of awards on a newspaper's walls, and don't see any of the names of current coworkers on those awards. Message: we don't care if you win awards, we still won't value you enough to keep you.

Draft saved Draft deleted