1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where have you gone Brooks Bollinger: Week 5 CFB running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Sep 27, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Lets see....this week:

Miami continues its brutal schedule by hosting Oklahoma
    Either USC or Cal is going to look insanely over-hyped compared to the pre-season
    The USC win or the Stanford loss was a fluke for Washington -- ND game will go a long way toward telling us which
    Michigan faces an increasingly desperate Michigan State team

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

LSU - Georgia looks pretty tasty, and Stanford hosting UCLA for Pac-10 top dog status.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Alabama and Auburn both 4-0. Has that happened recently?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am sure it has... there's been plenty of Ball States, North Texases and Forida Internationals around for years...

Oh, and Sparty gets Michigan this week.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

LSU-Georgia is the Sybil Bowl. Each team has about a dozen personalities. Are they good? Are they not good? I guess Georgia looked like they can actually play defense last night (didn't see the game). LSU? Who the hell knows.
    I'll say 35-31 LSU.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wow, slaps made PDB stay up so we'd have a player name. :D

Anyhoo, a review of last week:

As for this week:
    --Pitt will lose at Louisville (I do control Pitt's fate, BYM)
    --I hope think Michigan State will beat Michigan
    --Oklahoma will crush Miami
    --Boston College will beat Florida State
    --Minnesota will beat Wisconsin
    --Stanford will beat UCLA
    --Notre Dame will cream Washington
    --Georgia will edge LSU
    --USC will beat Cal soundly

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Damn right Pitt will lose to Louisville. And I think West Virginia steamrolls Colorado, USF Brunos Syracuse, Cincinnati houses Miami (OH), and Washington beats Powerhouse Notre Dame, which is about two plays from being 1-3.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Miami's schedule looks "brutal" because it's front-loaded with the tougher teams in its conference (one that is generally considered no better than fifth-best in the BCS). It's already played FSU, Ga. Tech and Va. Tech.

By the time the season is over, MIami's schedule softens and ultimately will look quite ordinary. Conference; one game against a tough BCS opponent (Oklahoma), another against a middle-of-the-road BCS opponent (USF), one game against a CUSA mid-major (UCF) and one game against I-AA cannon fodder (FAMU).

And seven of 12 games will be played in the state of Florida.

Certainly a representative schedule, and I give them props for playing in-state UCF and USF. That's much better than Akron and the other usual nobodies Penn State plays (while skipping Pitt), or Nebraska's march through the Sun Belt Conference.

But it's certainly not an overly-ambitious schedule, or especially brutal (IMHO).

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Could be 35-31, could be 7-5, could be 72-70.

Schizophrenia FTW!

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'll be swimming in a sea of Aggies at the Death Star this Saturday. I'm thinking a basketball score is likely in this one.

11. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Someone doesn't know what schizophrenia means.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

To answer these (my opinions, of course):

Miami's schedule is brutal. I was really impressed with what Virginia Tech did to them, though. Miami is talented and fast, but very young and still needs to play more disciplined. I think this will be a good game. I think Miami can regroup.

I don't think either USC or Cal are overhyped. USC always loses a game to a team they had no right laying down against. And Cal always loses a few games, even when they look as good as this year. Cal really surprised me yesterday. I was fully prepared for them to trip up somewhere during the PAC-10 schedule. And I know enough to have feared Oregon. But I thought if they lost to Oregon, it would be a close game. That was embarrassing. USC, in general, is half a step down from the last few years. I came to that conclusion yesterday. Top notch team, but not totally invincible.

I have the perfect handle on Washington, because I called it before the season. There was a lot of talent already on that team and they had a good recruiting year. Locker is a very good QB and they have some offense. Their defense has some problems. I knew Sark and the new staff would breathe life into them. I figured they could be a four or five win team this year on the way to even bigger things. The USC win was a fluke. Stanford was no fluke. Stanford is a decent team -- I called them a bowl team (and possibly up to 8 wins) before the season started. Toby Gerhart is a very good player, in particular. Like Mike Alstott, but faster. And Harbaugh is a good coach. Stanford should beat Washington, and it is why the line ended at 9 points. Washington is improved. Stanford is better, though. I was actually shocked that they lost to Wake Forest, even though they had to travel across the country. The PAC-10, in general, is much improved top to bottom this season. In my estimation it's the second best conference in the country. USC should handle ND, even if USC is off a bit right now. With each game Barkley will get better, and watching that Purdue game yesterday, I realized I was a bit wrong about Notre Dame. I thought they might be legit this year. Clausen will never quite have it and as much talent as they recruit, they don't play well as a team. USC is just the better team.

Michigan is much better this year, but still not quite put together the way Rich Rodriguez would like. Michigan State is going to have an off year. Michigan looked so bad against Indiana, because they started to read their press clippings and swim in them. They were lucky to win that game. I think it will be a wake-up call. Michigan will lose some games this year. Michigan State can beat them. It's a rivalry game. But I think Michigan is the better team.

Anyone agree, disagree with those thoughts?

Draft saved Draft deleted