1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where have all the (MLB) superstars gone?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by manky_jimy, Apr 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah I never see Trout or Harper. They should be in a commercial or something.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Trout had a national Subway spot at one time. Harper's done some baseball equipment ads, but that's about it.

As Stark noted, pitchers are the way to go given they're on camera all the time. How does Madison Bumgarner or Clayton Keyshawn not have a national commercial? Verlander could do an ad with Kate Upton.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Baseball players don't have national ads because baseball demographics skew old. Not that they're aren't young fans, but most aren't. Also, the sports equipment industry doesn't sell much baseball stuff, so NBA and (a trend I've noted lately) soccer stars get more play from them and they're big advertisers. It's kind of a false premise. No sport is bigger than the NFL, but aside from Brady and Watt, not many national ad stars, and Brady doesn't do 'em.

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

A Visit Hawaii ad, perhaps?

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

How soon you forget the new Dodge Dart!

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

There's a "chicks dig the long ball" sequel with Bumgarner & Verlander there for the writing for a creative ad agency.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm not sure he was ever the best player on any of those Yankee teams.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maybe today's MLB stars aren't glory boys and play the game the right way - unlike Jeets.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Really? From 96-01, he wasn't the best player any of those seasons? Like to hear who was better than him on that team in 99.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think there are a couple reasons. The first is that in an age of television the best pitchers only throw every fifth day. The best hitters only bat four times ina three hour game. Tom Brady throws 40 passes in thaat time and LeBron James will take 20 shots a game.

Secondly, I think of baseball is a sport that has been marketed far better locally than nationally. I think in most markets an NBA team would have to be really good to attract more fan attention than a medicore team.

But I think that the gap in interest between the sports is far narrower at the national elvel. Basketball stars, in part becasue of the amount of shoe money that is put behind them, are marketed much more effectively at the national level.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The best hitters pretty much always have batted four times a game.

Draft saved Draft deleted