1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Polamalu rank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by X-Hack, Apr 10, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Casey Hampton?

Are we now discussing the Steeler Hall of Fame? I thought this was about the one in Canton.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You won't get an argument from me. Hampton made five Pro Bowls and he really was a huge part of that defense (bad pun intended), but I would be surprised to see him get serious consideration. I think perhaps he is overrated a little because the Steelers have had trouble finding a suitable replacement. It had been a long time since the team struggled to fill that position. Joel Steed was a very good one before Hampton and Chris Hoke was an outstanding part-timer/occasional starter the times that Hampton was injured. You rarely, if ever, saw any of those guys get pushed around the way Steve McLendon has been pushed around the last two seasons.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Reed and Polamalu will both get in, but it will just be a question of how long (if at all) they have to wait.

Voters have not been kind to safeties not named Ronnie Lott over the last couple decades.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I really hope that was sarcasm. Very few people outside Pittsburgh even know who Casey Hampton is. Good player? Certainly. HOF? Only if he buys a ticket or does Polamalu's induction speech.

5. outofplace

I read it as serious on Evil's part. If I read that incorrectly, I apologize.

6. No joke.
    He was a NT. If very few people outside Pittsburgh knew he was, I can't same I am surprised. He got a lot of praise for his work.
    The Steelers run defense was due to Hampton clogging the middle. Without Hampton the linebackers can't plug the holes or rush the Qb. Hampton helped make guys like Harrison look great. He took lot of load off Aaron Smith.
    I'm not sayng Hampton is a lock. But, yeah I think he gets in down the road.
    His chances are bolstered by the fact the Steelers have struggled mightly to replace him.

End of my Steelers threadjack....

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The suggestion that Casey Hampton is a HOFer is so ridiculous it made OOP be rational.

LongTimeListener and BDC99 like this.
  8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Damn, I was so hoping that was sarcasm.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

With the Steelers contingent here, you should know better.

10. outofplace

It's one poster arguing for Hampton, and a member of the "Steelers contingent" is also the poster very clearly disagreeing with Evil on this one.

Is Hampton's career somewhat underrated outside of Pittsburgh? Sure. I buy that, but it doesn't make him a Hall of Famer.

And Evil, I was saying that perhaps your perceptions are being guided by the trouble the Steelers have had replacing Hampton. Just because a team has trouble replacing a player does not make him a Hall of Famer.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  11. Wilfork was better? OK ... how exactly? Better known? Why? How? NT stats are pretty hard to find.
    That said, Hampton anchored a run defense that was in the top 5, closer to Top 3, in league during his run. BECAUSE of the run defense, the pass defense - and the rush - was strengthened. The 3-4 worked so well because of Hampton.
    The Patriots run defense, ranking? Ahead of the Steelers? Or Ravens? Nope.
    Thank God for Vince Fucking Wilfork!

OOP, I'm stunned you disregard Hampton's impact, muchless HOF consideration. Aside from the fact they've had a difficult time replacing him, look at the overall struggles of the defense without a line clogging NT. Again, Hampton's position is pivotal to the success of the 3-4.
    Devil declared the defense was designed around Troy. That's wrong. It's designed to stop the run and pressure the QB, none of which works well without a good NT. Hampton bordered on being a great NT. The proof is in the Steelers defensive performance.

Hampton is overshadowed by other name linemen, but as a NT, doing his job to stop the run he was among the best.
    This is inarguable among the sane.
    How many NT's are in the HOF? Technically, none. Hampton is a hybrid (that's not the best word, but its' the first that comes to mind) for NT qualifications for the HOF as far as playing in a 3-4 is concerned. If Hines Ward - as a WR - merits consideration, so does Hampton. Without question. And I think he gets in.

Again, is Hampton a lock? No. But was we move father down the road, I think Hampton's impact will be seen worthy of Canton. It may be decades before he gets in, but I think he gets in.

Joel Steed was good, but compared Hampton? Come on, Really? Seriously?

Again, I can't believe you dismiss Hampton so easily.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Cam Newton has a better chance at the HOF then Hampton.

Draft saved Draft deleted