1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Peyton rank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Other than the postseason ...

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You've just proved my point. You, a contemporary football follower, assume without question postseason record is the decisive factor in rating otherwise equivalent quarterbacks. Fifty years ago that wasn't true at all, people didn't use that reasoning. It's possible 50 years from now the standards will have changed back.

3. Mr. Sunshine

As I've explained before, Brady's career arc makes him a better (and much more fascinating) QB. It's not just the postseason. However, what exactly would you rate above postseason success as a tiebreaker in the scenario you suggest?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sure he would have. Because 1) he would have been throwing fewer passes, and 2) defensive players in the 70s and 80s were by and large not as large. And not as fast.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't believe such ties need to be broken. If you started Brady in his prime (still going on) or Manning in his and they stayed healthy all year, you had a championship contender no matter what. Better than that you can't get.

Batman likes this.
  6. Mr. Sunshine

Well, you're no fun.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Disagree, but an interesting, somewhat related question:

If Marino had two rings but otherwise his same career, where does he rank?

8. Mr. Sunshine

Im the conversation for No. 1.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I agree. But "Marino with two rings" is also almost exactly how I view Peyton.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Tied for fourth behind Brady, Montana and Bradshaw. Winners win.

11. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I've never understood the rationale regarding Montana's perfect Super Bowl record. If he only played four seasons, then maybe it would be relevant. But seeing as he played 16 seasons, his season ended in failure 12 times. Brady, on the other hand, has played 15 full seasons, so his season has ended in failure 11 times. And of those failures, Brady's are more "impressive" because they include two Super Bowl appearances and more championship games. If the Patriots lost in the AFCCG in 2007 and 2011, would Brady suddenly be equal to Montana?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, there's also the Montana career Super Bowl stat of 11 TDs, 0 INTs and a 127.8 QB rating. And the 93-yard drive to show he could do it in the clutch, too.

Funny thing, though. His first SB victory contained the following stat line:

14-of-22, 157 yards, 1 TD.

Manning's last SB line was 13-of-23, 141 yards, 0 TDs. Really not that far apart. And he was called by some on this board the worst player on the field that day.

Although I still maintain Mike Remmers, Mike Tolbert, Jerrico Cotchery and Cam Newton were far worse, among others.

Draft saved Draft deleted