1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Paul Thomas Anderson rank?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Fincher > Tarintino

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

No way to argue that, at least since Pulp Fiction.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

David Fincher's worst is better than Quentin Tarantino's. And Fincher has been much better the past seven years or so. But how about their five best:

Pulp Fiction vs. Fight Club
    Reservoir Dogs vs. Se7en
    Jackie Brown vs. The Social Network
    Kill Bill Volume 1 vs. Zodiac
    Kill Bill Volume 2 vs. Panic Room

I know I'd take at least three and possibly four Tarantino movies in those matchups.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Pulp Fiction, Seven, Jackie Brown, both Kill Bills.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For whatever value you assign to this fact, Tarantino would never, ever accept piles of money to make a by-numbers thriller like "Dragon Tattoo."

6. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Pretty sure no CGI. Reading about it...they literally burned the crap out of that oil derrick.

Much credit has to go to the cinematographer too. I BELIEVE it was the late Roger Deakins.

7. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Also, have to add that PTA directed Hard Eight. That is a kickass movie with an amazing cast.

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

But even that -- which I have not seen, granted -- has to be better than Basterds, which somehow manages to be more insultingly bad for the two brilliant short films it contains.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You would hold bad movies against a director, I suppose, but I'm really not, except in the case Spielberg.

Draft saved Draft deleted