1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Jon Stewart rank? (Or "RIP The Daily Show")

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 10, 2015.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Hell of a run for Stewart. Like many brilliant people, he probably needs a new mountain to climb.

I've always enjoyed his work, his writing and his delivery, even if I probably agree with him, politically, 15% of the time. Damn sharp guy.

2. Kilborn? Not. Bloody. Likely.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I've never watched his show or the one with the Colbert fellow. They certainly have passionate followers, though.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

If they did a straight up trade, I would totally watch the NBC Nightly News with Jon Stewart

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same here. I think people took this harder than Yankees fans when Jeter announced his retirement.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Stewart never lost his range.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He seems to do a lot of "skewering" and "destroying," though. Who's gonna step up to fill that important void?

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As much as Stewart plays it off saying he's just a comedian doing fake news, he's actually a pretty important social voice in this country. He and his staff have held politicians on both sides of the aisle and the media accountable to their lies, obfuscations, pandering and bigotry for a long time and he's provided a greater level of political discourse than CNN, MSNBC or FOX News have even tried to achieve. He's never afraid to challenge his guests, but he's also able to have fun with them, even when he's on the opposite end of the political spectrum from them (O'Reilly and Mike Huckabee have been great guests on his show).

I'm not sure anyone can do the job as well as he has.

EddieM likes this.
  9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

John Oliver would be an absolute no-brainer. I wonder how long his contract is with HBO.

John Hodgman would be very good as well.

10. RecoveringJournalist

Hardwick did the joke, "Who better to do the fake news than... Brian Williams?

11. RecoveringJournalist

He was hinting at this the last time he was on Stern.

I wonder if he owns a portion of the show. I would assume he does, but I don't know. I think he's a producer on The Nightly Show, as he did with Colbert.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I believe the only times I've ever caught his show were from snippets posted from You Tubes links and it's like. He did some funny
    stuff but I will have to take your word that he is a pretty important social voice. I'm not even sure where the Comedy Network
    is on my tv.

I used to catch Stewert back in the day on his late night talk show. Cleary very bright guy.

As far as being an important social voice would you rate him more important that Al Sharpton?

Draft saved Draft deleted