1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do you stand on "reader comments"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

some call it vacation; some call it community service....

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I absolutely agree. When I read reader comments on the NY papers' sites, I end up feeling aghast and disgusted at the readers racism, bigotry and stupidity.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I like Simon's idea, though I wonder how practical it is.

Introduce revenue AND help cut down on the site's riff-raff.

I'm just wondering if it would bring forth enough revenue to make it worthwhile.

4. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I never read the damn things, personally. This plays into a pet peeve of mine...
    I really don't care what anonymous people think about something they're not versed in. I know it's a huge push in our industry to get people involved and put more comments in the paper, but I'm kind of a snob. (One of the worst recent examples was when CNN reported on Al Gore winning the Nobel Peace Prize and they had a quote from some resident of Bumfuck, U.S.A., saying how this made the prize meaningless. Well, when someone from Bumfuck, U.S.A. thinks the Nobel Peace Prize is meaningless, that says it all. They ought to cancel the awards.)
    I think we should talk to people who have some kind of insight. In other words, I don't need to read Joe Sixpack's quotes about how the offense at State U. sucks. I'm more interested in what the college football writer or what other coaches think about the offense.
    I'm not saying that we shouldn't have comments from the general public or put people in our stories. I just think it's worthless to have people who don't know what they're talking about commenting on stuff.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

A thread like this reminds me just why I rewad this site.

Great stuff.

I read the reader comments in a couple of the local papers fairly regularly. (Of course, the papers pump them up by listing "most commented-on" stories.

I have seen them get extremely personal. The girl who was arrested for felony assault for hitting another student in the high school lunch room posted (sure sounded like it could have her), and the other girls' friends wrote back.

And since a local PD leads the league in DWI arrests, every time there's a new one, the same usual commetnters go back and forth.

I am a huge believer in registration, whether it be newspaper sites or Internet message boards. Yes it can get nasty here, but you oughta see www.teachers.net, which does not have registration and is plagued with anonymous comments.

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I like the charging for comments idea. Revenue + fewer assholes = a better thing for us.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

But if that were sent in as an LTE, I'd bet it would probably get printed. Maybe even as an Op-Ed column in a smaller area.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Full disclosure: I tack on a few days in Chicago at the end. :)

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

TMI

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I don't see why it couldn't be like a letter to the editor - you don't run all of them. Post comments but omit comments which are repetitious or idiotic racist/sexist/bigoted and show no merit. I would probably allow more latitude than a typical letter to the editor to have more back-and-forth. I wouldn't necessarily require names be posted, because the argument should be based on the logic rather than the name - on this board, if my arguments are presented well, they should have the same merit as Dave Kindred, for example.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bad example. i'm going with DK 100 times out of 100. ;)

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

This is the kind of arrogant crap you get from so many journalists. They so detest their customers, and then they wonder why nobody buys their product.
    Yeah, blame it on the suits for pulling the trigger, but just remember your own arrogance helped load the gun.

Draft saved Draft deleted