1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do you find cheap airfare?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Apr 28, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The wife and I just booked airfare through JetBlue for the first time...nonstop flight from DC to Orlando. Real, real cheap.

Has anyone flown JetBlue? What did you think?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

JetBlue is excellent. Big seats. XM and DirecTV in every one. Good snacks.

3. JackReacher

We had the option to pay $20 for seats with four inches of extra legroom, from 34 to 38, I believe. My legs are short enough, thank you. I'll spend that $20 at the poolside bar.

I'm pumped for JetBlue. So is the wife, who puts flying just above herpes on her list of favorite things.

4. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Ryan Sonner doesn't get herpes. Herpes gets Ryan Sonner.

5. First time I've heard that.

Thanks for the tip.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

JetBlue is a great airline, used them a few times.

One of the few consistently good travel deal sites is Travel Zoo. Sign up for the weekly Travel Zoo top 20, a few people in my office have booked these deals.

I also suggest signing up for the various airlines e-mail lists. The deals will get sent to you weekly and you can find the flight you need.
    Best seat pitch @ 34 inches. I am 6'5" and was comfortable. No pillage over the armrest [/crossthread]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. A couple of other good sites:

ITA software: http://www.itasoftware.com/ - Just click on "Search Airfares using QPX" and then login as guest. This site searches almost all major carriers (Southwest is not included) for the cheapest flights. The info comes straight from the airlines, so it is a great way to compare airlines all in one spot ... but the prices are sometimes outdated (rarely though).

Betterbidding.com: http://betterbidding.com/ - This is more for hotels, but it does have Priceline and Hotwire tips. It is really great for hotels though. You can search by city and see what hotels are going for on those sites (better targeting in your search).

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

For our trip to Sun Valley later this month, we booked Frontier through Denver precisely for the DirecTV. I'm excited to give it a go.

Anything has to be better than those soulless US Air flights to Phoenix.

9. BRoth

BRoth Member

Does anyone use http://www.sidestep.com/? That's the only one I've used, although I've checked out some of the others mentioned. It's never really let me down, although I'm not sure if I can find fares that are significantly better than that site. It just compiles rates from dozens of Web sites, including specific airlines' sites.

10. JackReacher

I signed up for TravelZoo Top 20 or whatever a few weeks ago. Some amazing deals. Saw one recently...$150 (give or take) per night at Atlantis in the Bahamas, down from $350. Just ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

expedia... or sign up for the priceline emails.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I do like snacks.

Draft saved Draft deleted