1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do the Yankees this decade rank on a list of all-time busts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree on both counts...

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Hondo. Tony. KOAM.

And my political posts are dumb? Wow.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Absolutely agree. The Yankees dominant reign ended with Gonzo's bloop single and their mystique evaporated in the 2004 postseason.

Atleast they have recently made an effort to cut their payroll, go with younger talent, and not merely outbid other teams. But they are kind of forced to, since there are more teams willing to spend money now than ever before.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My head might explode.

Hey bostonbred, when are you going to start a thread about how the Patriots combined with the '04 and '07 Red Sox are the greatest dynasty in the history of sports?

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

If we can include the '08 Celtics in there as well...

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would argue the Yankees are far less of a bust this season than the $137 million Tigers, who are dead last in the AL Central (at least for the moment), behind the Royals. The Yankees, despite all the injuries, did find a way to remain relevant until the final week of the season. And they're trailing the Rays and Red Sox, who will both be around 100 wins.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Making the playoffs has to count for something.

Disappointing? Sure, but all-time bust? Give me a break...

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

They are both enormous busts this season, but injuries/ineffective pitching killed both teams, especially the Tigers. Atleast the Yankees had a few decent arms. Galarraga is really the lone bright spot for Detroit.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And you wonder why almost every bar in America cheered when Brady was hurt...

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, when the Angels sweep the Red Sox in the first round, I can start spouting off about how they are a bust this season?

I can't wait.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

At least the Yankees' "bust season" might end with 90-plus wins. And right now, they have 15 more wins than the Tigers, despite throwing guys like Rasner and Giese during a postseason race.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Did I really need the blue font there?

Draft saved Draft deleted