1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do the Yankees this decade rank on a list of all-time busts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Sep 23, 2008.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

The Braves have hit the skids, big time. They fell in love with the smell of their own farts because the duct-tape-and-chewing-gum approach (especially with respects to pitching) worked so well 2001-2005. It seems like they're waking up from that fog, but we'll see.

With that being said, the Yankoffs have a tremendous advantage over everyone else due to economy of scale. And they've taken that and stuffed it down the pisser.

I will add this- Florida, the Yankees. You folks know how to pick 'em. Anyone else here want to defend Nickleback? Any Dane Cook fans in the house? You know what's great? Olive Garden, that's what.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The 1985-86 Yankees were actually pretty good. The rest of that decade, they were woodwork.

The 1980-81 Yankees were just a continuation of the 1970s Yankees, so I don't count them. They blew it up in '82 when they wanted speed guys like Dave Collins, and when that didn't work, they started blowing money on free agents like frenzied cokeheads.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

not as far high as King ranks on the list of SJ busts.

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I was thinking about this thread while I was driving home.

I guess my question is this: Fans of a lot of teams would be happy to go to the playoffs in 2000, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06 and 07. Add in winning Series in '00 and going to the Series in '01 and '03 and that is a pretty good decade. Not nearly as dominant as the late '90s obviously, but a pretty good decade.

Now, the Royals haven't been to the playoffs in a million years. Neither have the Pirates. Neither have a bunch of teams.

Really, I think people just like to hate the Yankees. Partly because of their payroll. Partly because they are a fan of a rival. Partly because they play in New York City. And partly because of the success of the late '90s.

So, really, I think this is just an extension of that. A whole bunch of people that are fans of really shitty teams are getting their rocks off because the Yankees didn't make the playoffs.

I mean, it annoys me they didn't go, but at least they were in the hunt until the end. At least my team isn't like the Pirates, who care so little about the product on the field that their fans have to come up with reasons why they suck, instead of realizing it's because of their own management. Yet another reason for hating the Yankees, I guess.

Anywhoo, I guess it is a bust that the Yankees haven't won a World Series since 2000, but then again only one team wins the Series each year and the only team to win at least two in a row was the late '90s Yankees, so I guess every single MLB team is a bust, because they all spend a bunch of money and none of them are going to the playoffs consistently and winning multiple titles.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is the most ridiculous thread title I have ever seen. First, 2000 is in this decade, so there's a Series title in it. Second, eight straight playoff appearances? That sucks? Why is it the Yankee-haters who think the team should go 120-42 and win the Series every year?
    You want fail? I rooted for the '61 Phillies. 47-107, and 23 straight losses. Worse, the '62 Mets came along the very next season, and the Phils didn't even have the dignity of the all-time worst team anymore.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You can't really blame them for losing in 2001. It wasn't like they had an insurmountable lead in Game 7, plus Johnson and Schilling were dominant in the series.

In 2003, the Yankees were worn out physically and emotionally from their seven-game series with the Red Sox, which most agree, was the series with the two best teams in baseball. That was also the year they had an emotional playoff series with the Marlins due to Rivera's relatives dying at his home. By the time they faced the Marlins, it was seen as anticlimatic. A lot of fans really didn't care that they lost the series, because they had beaten the Red Sox.

2004, agreed, there was no excuse. The rest of the years, they've been spending too much time trying to outslug the ball instead of winning games.

EDIT: I meant Twins instead of Marlins in referring to Rivera's tragedy.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, King Ding-Dong, we know it was those National League umpires that were screwing the Yankees.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2008/09/report_yankees_hank_steinbrenn.html

Outing alert: Angola is Hank Steinbrenner.

Ok. that's unfair. Angola is nowhere near the whiny bitch that Baby Boss Hank is.

Maybe it is Hank that I should offer a Terrible Towel to cry in.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I would say this is the dumbest post I've ever read, but I also read your political posts.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

King, if you were looking at New York, how did you not see the Knicks of the past few seasons?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Georgia is one of my favorite college football teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted