1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do I enter for sports writing awards?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by asuhouse, Feb 19, 2012.

1. asuhouse

asuhouse New Member

I have some published pieces focusing on basketball that I was hoping to get considered for any sort of sports writing awards. They are longer, magazine pieces that are all at least 1,500 words. Can anyone direct me to where I can enter them if I want them judged for awards?

Thank you.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Google the award you are interested in and see what pops up - your editor ought to be able to help. Did they appear in magazines?

APSE judging starts today, so you're a bit late for that for 2011 stuff. Most state associations are beyond the 2011 cutoff date, too. We also just submitted some stuff for SPJ awards - deadline was last week.

If this is 2011 stuff, you are probably toast.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I'll pm you my address, you can send entries directly. Don't forget the $49.95 entry fee for each category you wish to have judged. I'll let you know my February winners, if you can get your package sent overnight :)

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How do you find time to do this while also helping Nigerians fill American's bank accounts?

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Where do you enter? Around here, the back door.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Silly me...I forgot to list my judging categories...

A) Headlines that include punctuation.

B) Stories about bats (the animal or the baseball equipment...both are eligible)

C) Best use of the letter 'a' in a story; also a sub-category for the most 'a's used in a single story.

D) Best parent-submitted story (judging editorial judgment here)

E) Best use of all-caps or triple exclamation points...single or double exclamation points will be disqualified, so be sure to check the number of ! when entering.

Draft saved Draft deleted