1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did you run Kalas/Fidrych obits?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HorseWhipped, Apr 14, 2009.

1. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

I thought they were worthy of front-page space in sports, given that these two guys had cult-hero status among their fans and because they died unexpectantly. Kalas was another great baseball voice, and Fidrych was a one-year wonder, but oh what a one-year wonder he was. And then a dump truck fell on top of him.

I was hoping for a combined obit with a rewrite guy [what's that?] weaving their stories together, but we just dumped it inside and gave it hideously little room. Not happy about that.

How did your paper play these obits?

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

As tiny as my paper is, I only had room for one. I chose Fidrych.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Unless you're in Michigan or maybe Worcester, Mass., that probably was the wrong choice.

Kalas was a Hall of Fame broadcaster. Fidrych had one good, cult-like season. There's no comparison.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

And unless you're in Michigan or Philly, there's no reason either should be on Page 1

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Also likely true.

7. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

I disagree.
    Big unexpected news grabs the readers.

Even though they probably saw it on TV or online the night before.

Good stories are told in obits, and especially in these two.

I say put it out front, with some good photos, and show the readers what you can do with stories like these.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I guess, if you're in an area where there was no other sports news today that works.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i disagree as well. the bird caught the attention of many, many folks who still subscribe to newspapers, even on the west coast.

ask 100 subscribers on the WC which team kalas worked for, and maybe, maybe eight could give you the correct answer.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Mark the Bird is much bigger news than kalas in cities
    with no directo ties to the two.

11. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

The Bird died, I told my dad.
    Kalas died, and I thought, I thought Harry Caray died years ago.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, I made it a point to send my dad a link to a Kalas video tribute. Kalas was way bigger, to him and to me. To my family in Michigan, I'm sure Fidrych was bigger. Big whoop. Anecdotal evidence means nothing, in either case.

That you got Harry Kalas mixed up with Harry Caray says a lot, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted