1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did you intern?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know some won't get specific because they don't want to be outed, but I'm curious where people interned before they got their first main gig.

Mine were at the Fresno Bee (not in sports), the Orange County Register and the paper that hired me straight out of school (large paper in the midwest).

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I did a bunch of internships as an undergrad.

Garden City Telegram, Simi Valley Enterprise, Kansas City Star.

After graduating, I worked for 15 years and went back to school for a masters. During that, I interned for the Albuquerque Journal.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've heard of that. :)

You either need the blue font, or you've forgotten how to spell Simi Valley.

4. I interned at PNPA, the Pottsville Republican, the Danbury News-Times and the Westchester Journal-News

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I never actually interned. Just a stringer, but it counted as an internship so I could graduate on time. Thanks, boss.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

'Twas long ago and far away.

Luckily, it was a photo internship, so I didn't need to spell

7. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Cape Cod Times as a design intern because I couldn't get a sports gig and did some stringing for some other spots near my college. I was pretty well-rounded after that experience.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'd already worked full-time at a weekly chain before going back to school. I had internships at a 40k in Pennsylvania and a 65k (oh 2004, those were the days... probably a 40k now) in Massachusetts as a news reporter.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Richmond News Leader (RIP), summers of 1976 and 1977. Started there full-time upon graduation in May, 1978

10. whynot?

whynot? New Member

Interned at Florida Today, Newsday and was a regular stringer for the Philadelphia Inquirer covering high school sports during my final two years of college.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Spy magazine, when Kurt Anderson and Graydon Carter were running the show. Nothing I have done since, has come close to living up to that internship and that magazine. Too bad I didn't realize all magazines weren't that fun. I would have become a toll booth worker instead.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Kurt Anderson seems like a really sharp guy, too. I'm sure that was a blast.

Draft saved Draft deleted