1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are your loyalties?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice ...

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He might as well just order water all the time then.

For every restaurant that just serves Pepsi, two serve only Coke.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

NIKE shoes.
    Folgers coffee.
    Titleist golf balls. (High numbered Pro V's)

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Whatever is cheapest

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Too many to mention. I am a total brand snob.

But given that my dad worked for Pepsi for 35 years, I guess it starts with Pepsi and Pepsi-distributed products. Even though I drink a fraction of the soda I once did.

My dad would beat my ass on the rare occasions I brought a Coke product into the house.

My only concession is on lemon-lime soda. Sierra Mist is fucking awful, so I have to go with 7UP when I'm in that mood.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Literally?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Kinda. He always claimed he might have some client visit the house and that it would be compromising to have a Coke product within, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I actually recall having anyone work-related in our domicile.

The story I tell is when Cherry Coke was introduced in the mid 80s. Pepsi did not have an equivalent yet and I loved me some Cherry Coke. Coke also had a limited distribution in the early days of Cherry Coke, so it was somewhat hard to keep on store shelves.

Because of that, my church had a parlor game at our church fair where you could win a six-pack of Cherry Coke. Plunk down a dollar on a number. If it hit, you won.

I spent about $6 and finally won. Bear in mind, this is when a six-pack of soda couldn't have cost more than $2.

So I bring it home and put it in the fridge. The next day I hear a "what the hell is this?" coming from the kitchen.

Fully anticipating this scenario, I stroll in and say, "Dad ... it's cool. I won it. I didn't pay for it."

"Really? How did you win it?"

"Oh I played this game at the church fair. Plunk down a buck and if your number hit you win the soda."

"Uh-huh. How many dollars did you throw down to 'win' this?"

That was when I realized my predicament. I had essentially paid $6 for a $2 six-pack of enemy soda.

"Yeah. Uh, er, $6?"

Pretty sure my dad smacked me on the head for that one. Don't know if it was for the Coke product, blowing $6 on a six-pack or general cluelessness, but there's no doubt there was an added bit of venom because a Coke product was involved.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Lee jeans
    Queen's Gambit (as white)
    Maple-necked Fenders
    Canada Dry Ginger Ale
    Mrs. Grass onion soup
    Koop's Horseradish Mustard

9. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

First one that comes to mind is Coke, and that's only when it comes to using it in a cocktail. I haven't drank soda on its own in about 20 years, but I can't stand it if I order a whatever-and-coke and the bartender doesn't mention they use Pepsi. The difference in taste is almost amplified when mixed with liquor.

The only others I can think of are Louisiana Hot Sauce and Maker's Mark.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Not in these parts.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Runza, Dorothy Lynch and Malara's Italian restaurant -- all local, all delicious.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

God, Family, Country?

As far as brands, don't give a shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted