1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When's the Last Time You Were in an Actual Fight?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Jul 2, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How old is this jackass? That's a passive aggressive, cunty move throwing a forearm like that.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

49; yeah I know. He’s one of those guys who lacks finesse so thinks he should be able to run right over me as I cower while instead I just square up and hold my position.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’m 6-0 and have always been over 175 pounds as an adult. Only two fights were in middle school.

One thing I learned as an adult is if you are big, tall and look semi-athletic, no one is starting shit with you unless you start it first.

I had a buddy who was 5-5, and he couldn’t walk 20 feet in a bar without getting elbowed.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

1996 or '97. Bar. I'll never hear "Wolly Bully" or "16 Tons" without thinking of that night. Still have the remnants of a scar on my right index finger.

I got into a shit-ton of fights as a kid. Won some, lost some but was never seriously hurt outside of a black eye.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I admire and applaud your restraint, but your trash talk game leaves a lot to be desired.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

An almost-fight story. I'm 50. About six months ago I was leaving a rock concert (small venue, all standing) a little early and as I was going past him a guy gave me an elbow shove. I nearly fell but didn't. I went back and got in the guy's face and yelled "What the fuck was that?" He said "you ruined the show." I did this by standing in front of him. I am 6'4, about 205 pounds. This guy was maybe 5'10 but brawnier and I would guess he was about half my age. Most people, just looking, would have picked him to win the fight.

Despite adrenaline surging, I yelled back, "You could have moved. Or said something to me. There's a better way to deal with this."

To which he replied, "Fuck you."

At that point I left, not seeing much opportunity for productive dialogue. His response also left me thinking I could have won the fight, because he seemed to lack the ability to think lucidly under stress.

In reviewing this ten-second conflict, I was kind of pleased with how level-headed my remarks were.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I would have waited for him in the parking lot, followed him home and stuck a banana in his tailpipe

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Age 18-19 maybe? I was at this massive party and a handful people started brawling, no idea why. I got caught in the crossfire. Someone caught me from behind with a sucker punch on the side of the head. I spun around, blinded by rage, and swung without knowing who I was aiming at. Hit some random guy in the face, and he fell down pretty quickly. I then ran behind a car and watched the rest of it with a buddy and a fresh Miller Lite.

maumann likes this.
  9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Exactly. I couldn’t beat a bag of marshmallows, but I’m 6-2. Whenever I’ve stood my ground, the situation has magically come to a nonviolent resolution. I’m willing to get my butt whupped on principle (no way I’m winning), but luckily haven’t had to.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Y'all are tough but are ya tough for Jesus?

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

At this point in my life, I’d rather buy a dude a beer than fight. I don’t go out much anymore, and if I do it’s at an adult bar, so the chances of a fight are low. It’s the college kids who get drunk and want to prove how tough they are.

wicked likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yesterday. I won.

Draft saved Draft deleted