1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

when your writing falls into a rut

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jackie Treehorn, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Anyone ever feel like you're writing the same story over and over?
    For example: gamers that seem to fall into one of a few types, etc.

What are some tips for shaking things up and getting out of such a rut?

Thanks.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I usually look for patterns in my writing and experiment with trying something new. That way it helps me avoid the boredom. Or even talk to more sources after a game. I know it's only a gamer, but when you I get in that rut, I'm grasping at straws and hoping for anything to get me out of it.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I quit and went to the desk.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Iambic pentameter.

5. Quality burn.
    But, that's not really an option.
    As a freelancer, I mostly do it for the extra money, and the fact that I kind of enjoy it.

6. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Yes, but only because I'm using Mad Libs. I just plug in names, teams and scores and a story pops right out.  ;D

Iambic pentameter is a good suggestion.

Personally, I just like to work in random song lyrics to see if anyone notices. I even paraphrased Boston once.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I wasn't trying to burn anyone. That's just how I dealt with the situation. The rut lasted the better part of a year no matter what I did, in large part because I was working gobs of hours covering a college, which I'm told is what you're supposed to do. I finally said "Enough" and took back my personal life. I don't miss writing one bit but I admire you for taking the steps to correct the situation.

8. I'm not sure it's admirable, and in fact I may be overly critical of my writing.
    Thanks for the input, and it did make a good burn when read a certain way.
    :D

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I didn't quit, but I did shift to more of a desk/supervisory role years ago. Of course, now I get in a rut where all my fronts start looking the same (to me anyway).

10. Trying punching yourself in the balls until you find a newer angle. then write about it.
    Or write in Haiku...

11. sartysnopes

sartysnopes Member

Report more and report better.

12. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Maybe a vacation.
    Maybe a column.
    Maybe a feature.
    Maybe get some feedback from your SE.

Draft saved Draft deleted