1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will the first gay active pro athlete come out?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Depending on who it was, it could have a profound effect on attitudes toward gays in this country. If the person was famous enough, and had enough of a fan following in the South, best-case scenario is that it paves the way for widespread acceptance of gay marriage.

We're thinking of team sports only, but what if Tony Stewart came out? Or Dale Earnhardt, Jr.? Peyton Manning was a good example from the Bible Belt of someone who could change hearts and minds. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure none of those guys is either gay or willing to come out even if they were.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I just hope it's not Tebow.

3. He could change an entire state's political, religious and social belief systems simply by putting a suggestion under his eyes.

4. Raiders

Raiders Guest

It will be a big deal only because the media insist on making it a big deal. Shameful.

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

It's already happened, Martina was out of the closet and competing/winning in WImbleton Ladies Doubles up to age 50.

6. I'm currently working on a story about a gay college athlete in our area, and frequently asking myself the question, "Is this a story?"

He's started an organization on campus for fellow gay athletes, which I think is a more newsworthy nugget. But as for the greater question, I really don't know.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't see how anyone can extrapolate their personal lack of concern to the country at large and think this would be a non-story. Look at what's happening on the issue now: Major religions with millions and millions of followers remain committed to fighting Teh Gay, far more than they are committed to aiding the needy or clamoring for social justice or any of those other silly little trifles Jesus busied himself with. And maybe people tell phone pollsters they support gay marriage, but in its most significant test yet -- in California in 2008 -- the measure failed.

So 51 percent of the country might now be all in favor of gay rights. Great. The other 49 percent aren't exactly going to sit by silently, you know.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Why doesn't the WNBA count, Dick?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because, culturally, the obstacles to coming out in that setting are not as daunting as the obstacles to coming out in a male locker room.

10. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

So there are too many lesbos in women's professional Basketball, Soccer, Tennis and Softball to count?

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If a tree falls in the woods...

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Ah, the "most WNBA players are lesbians and so are their fans" argument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.