1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will the first gay active pro athlete come out?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. printdust

printdust New Member

It's a damn shame when someone is bashed for objecting on moral/religious grounds. I also said using a constitutional argument would be different so long as you drop all boundaries to marriage between consenting adults...and make them uniform nationally through age limits.

Where do you see paranoia in that?

So what's

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that prohibition excepted the Catholic church.
    He's turning it into a Constitutional question, i.e. if equal protection applies to gay marriages it should apply to polygamy, as well.

As a POLICY matter, however, there are plenty of reasons why gay marriage - or whatever you want to call it - should be lawful and polygamy or below-the-age-of-consent marriage should not.

3. Dick Whitman

Criticizing your opinion does not equal "bashing."

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. And apparently, no matter how many times people try to explain it to him, printdust still refuses to believe that the concept of marriage existed long before there was a Catholic Church.

5. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Printdust, you'll be a lot happier if you just accept who you are and admit it to the world. These decades of repression obviously have affected you.

There are people available to help you through this.

http://www.itgetsbetter.org/

6. printdust

printdust New Member

And policy wise there's all wrong reasons for it. It's ignorant to link below-the-age-of-consent with polygamy. Also, every state differs already as to the "age of consent."

7. outofplace

Nobody is forcing the law on any church, nor will they. Ever. That is just your paranoia talking.

Regarding your ridiculous argument about allowing under-age marriage, there is a simple difference. When people argue for the right for people to marry someone of their gender, they are advocating that for consenting adults. Minors are not consenting adults. It ain't that hard.

8. outofplace

I strongly disagree with everything printdust is saying on this thread, but using this tactic to get under his skin is childish and inappropriate. His sexuality isn't the issue. His opinion on the subject of marriage is.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Nah, I'm just calling a spade a spade. The general view in here is not about liberty, it's about forcing an agenda on right-wing evangelicals, period. And since Mormons also associated themselves with that movement, in their face too.

It's the hypocrisy behind what actually moves the gay rights movement.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

That usually happens when someone thinks they're losing an argument, but thanks for the decency, out.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

MINOR IS DEFINED DIFFERENTLY STATE TO STATE! Look up your ages of consent for god's sake!

12. Dick Whitman

We're all forcing our agendas on each other. It's called democracy, my friend. You're doing it, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.