1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will Joe get Yank-ed out of the South Bronx?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, May 18, 2007.

?

Should the Yanks struggle in the next two series (at Mets and vs. Red Sox), do Joe Torre and Brian C

1. Yes.

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. No.

20 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Maybe.

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Even if ARod waves his no-trade clause, what team can afford to give up three or four players for him without a guarantee that he won't opt out of his contract?

2. giantsmets510

giantsmets510 New Member

No, I think Steinbrenner even knows that Torre has absolutely nothing to work with right now. If they are smart, they will trade one of their OFs for a reliever. I'm thinking possibly Matsui for Linebrink, or Melky for Linebrink. They have a surplus of outfielders right now and no relievers. Their bats won't struggle forever, and they can afford the downgrade in the OF for the upgrade in the pen. That's how you win games anyway, through the bullpen.

There's no question that A-Rod will opt out at the end of the year. If he doesn't, he's just trying to kiss the Yankees fanbase's asses. And they'll respond by continuously booing him, and he'll lose out on a lot of money and possibly other things.

All of you guys know that the Yankees will get hot at one point. As tough as the next couple of weeks are for the Yanks, they have a schedule full of .500 teams and only one 3 game set against the Sox. I think they will wind up with the wild card, barring whether or not these Indians are for real.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

They're going to get hot why, exactly? Because they're the Yankees? And "wind up with the wild card?" Huh?

They're going nowhere. And fast.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, Mustard, we may not agree on A-Rod but I agree 100% with the Yanks going nowhere (but down).

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

It's almost comical the way people expect the Yankees to go on a run "because they're the Yankees." Ignore the pinstripes, and they're a .500 team, full of overpaid, aging players and wildly overworked relievers.

More AL teams will finish ahead of them than finish behind them.

6. giantsmets510

giantsmets510 New Member

I know these guys are old, but they are still talented. Jeter is Jeter, A-rod is A-rod. And for all we know the Yanks might pull off a deal similar to Shawn Chacon a couple of years ago or have a guy like Aaron Small go 10-0.

After years of watching the Yanks get off to slow starts, counting them out, then being dissappointed by their resurgence, I know better then to count them out.

I don't think they'll catch the Sox, they have too much pitching and very solid hitting.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Jeter has been Jeter all year.
    A-Rod just had one of the best months in MLB history.
    Posada has been as good as he could possibly be.
    And they're STILL a .450 club.

Their starting rotation is Wang (good), Mussina (old and toast), Pettitte (old and due for an injury any day now) and for the life of me I can't figure out who the fuck they're trotting out there the rest of the week. And their savior is a 45-year-old who is going to give them 6 innings at best, leaving more work for a bullpen that is already damn near worn out.

And as much phanboy love as I have for Bobby Abreu, the outfield so far has been two steps shy of utterly useless.

You take them winning the division. I'll take them finishing dead-ass last. I'll be a whole lot closer to correct then you, IMO.

8. giantsmets510

giantsmets510 New Member

Was that directed to me? I never said they'd win the division.

Best case scenario is that the Boss gets desperate and gives Hughes to the Fish for Willis. Boy would that be something.

I'm hoping you're right that the Yanks will finish last. I despise the Yankees. I'm just tired of getting sucked into "The Yankees are done, it's time to sell their old veterans for prospects" shit every year only to see them come back.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Not specifically, but you did have them making the playoffs, right?

What should scare the Yankees fanboys is that we might very well have ALREADY seen the best of the Yankees this year.

And you know what? Sooner or later, it's going to turn nasty up there. Then it's REALLY going to be Game On.

10. giantsmets510

giantsmets510 New Member

I had them slated as a wild card unless the Indians are as legitimate a squad as we've seen so far.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The Indians are irrelevant. If they go in the tank, there's still the Red Sox, Tigers, White Sox, Twins, Angels and A's that are ALL finishing ahead of the Yankees.

12. giantsmets510

giantsmets510 New Member

Angels are winning division. Tigers are winning division. Red Sox are winning the division.

I don't see any way Twins finish ahead of the Yanks. They got a great ace and a great closer. Hunter is very good, Morneau is great. So is Mauer. After that, I don't see anyone else. Their backend of their rotation is god awful. Clemens won't be worth nearly as much as the Yanks got him for, but he's better then any of the twins 3-5 starters.

I think the White Sox are a .500 team at best.

I can see the A's finishing ahead of the Yanks though. Once guys like street, Harden, and Piazza get healthy they should be well on their way.

Draft saved Draft deleted