1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'When we was ...'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 3, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Excluding something from a quote is NOT the same thing as editing a quote.

Mayor Dumbfuck's quote: "I fired the city solicitor because, you know, um, he was a dickhead."

My story: Mayor Dumbfuck said he fired the city solicitor because "he was a dickhead."

What, exactly, is so wrong or hard about doing that?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How do you handle the 95 percent of athletes (and normal people) who say "gotta"?

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You're either for quoting someone verbatim or you're not. Doesn't make any difference to me which side of the fence you're on; just pick one.

5. MisterCreosote

In my experience, I have no problem exactly quoting someone who says "gotta." I also don't see a problem with PARAPHRASING it if it makes you uncomfortable.

Again, there are at least four easy and ethical options you can use before you get to the point of editing quotes.

Also, in my experience, 95 percent of quotes from athletes could easily be deleted from stories anyway, with little to no impact on its overall quality.

6. MisterCreosote

In my example, I did quote someone verbatim.

I never said you have to use everything your subject says if you don't want to.

But, if you do use a quote, it should be exactly what was said.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I always cleaned up quotes for players who are making an effort to communicate in a second or third language.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A pointless and impossible standard.

9. MisterCreosote

Paraphrasing, or omitting, is impossible?

10. RickStain

Precisely and with 100% accuracy representing the spoken language in written quotes is impossible.

11. MisterCreosote

Rick, you're too smart for the "if we can't do it right 100 percent of the time, we should stop trying to get it right" argument.

12. RickStain

That's begging the question.

The way to get it right is to translate the spoken word to the written word. Pretending that a transcript does this is like trying to use Google Translate on a web page.

Draft saved Draft deleted