1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When was the last time you blew deadline, and why?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norman Stansfield, Sep 13, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The first rule of deadline is you don't talk about deadline.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Tornado in 2002.

3. Mira

Mira Member

Earlier this summer I was covering an auto race on a company-assigned laptop that's at least 15-years-old. I filed another story successfully, but when I attempted to file the race feature the computer hissed, went blank and gave off an acrid plastic smell.

The track loaned me a laptop and I filed ... eventually.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I always miss deadline by five or 10 minutes. Always. Never fails.

I write my story in about five minutes, then spend and hour on quotes and stats.

I know it's my responsibility, but my editors have finally caught on and tell me my deadline is 15 minutes earlier than it actually is.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Two Saturdays ago. Until I can clone myself...

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Same thing here, FJ. It was extremely helpful until I was forced into being a one-man show (10K daily) for almost four months.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Whoever was talking about a soft deadline, same thing here.

It used to be midnight, then the higher-ups said we had to move it to 11 p.m. due to mailroom staffing issues.

A month ago we had a big event in town, asked for a later deadline for three days and they basically said 'we really don't need the pages until midnight right now anyhow.'

Therefore, I don't have a clue what the real deadline is, but I'm always done by 11:30 so I figure I haven't had to push it in about a year.

8. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

my four OT college gamer in a southern louisiana outpost several years ago was my worst instance of deadline mismanagement.
    had the gamer written before my home team rallied in the final four minutes.I almost quit on the spot -- biggest win in school history -- well, almost -- and I had to rewrite the crap out of what I already had written.
    I hate deadline.
    My current stop has deadline issues written into goals, with raises based on how well you do meeting those goals. We have to make 90 percent deadline to meet our goals. the higher-ups freak everytime we miss one or two.
    I hate deadline.

Draft saved Draft deleted