1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to stiff the waitress

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Apr 2, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Sidebar: When did Denny's start thinking it was a quality place to eat? I was there late one night about six weeks ago and the prices were higher and the menu was more upscale (for a Denny's). Not saying the food was any better, only that they were calling it fancier stuff and charging more for it.

Oh, and my local Quiznos always has terrible service. Fortunately, they don't even have a tip jar.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Cheapest tip I've ever left a waitress $1 on a $20 bill (wife & I went out to eat and the service was bad). When I got to the cash register and was putting the tip on the credit card and the cashier asked me how much I wanted to tip I said "$1" the cashier said "but it was a $20 meal" and I said "$1 I was disappointed with the service I usually get better service here" and the cashier said "she's one of our better waitresses"

Most times I'll leave 20-30% for a tip.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

unibomber, I don't know where the fuck you got that bullshit from, but you don't short the waitress if the food was bad.

She didn't cook it.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As a former bartender, I tend to overtip. But then service is bad, I get really snarky.

A couple of years ago, four of us went to a Mexican joint for dinner on a Sunday night. The waitress came by, took our drink order, brought them and took our food order, delivered the food and disappeared for 30 minutes until she brought the ticket.

I paid, she brought back the change and I left a tip of one penny on a $35 tab. I also left a note that when people are eating spicy food, they usually need more than 12 ounces of drinks.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed
    As a friend of mine once said: I tip for service. and if I don't get service I like, I don't tip.

6. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

HEY DUMBASSES -- I said "BE SURE TO TO TELL TEH WAITER OR A MANAGER WHAT TICKED YOU OFF." If you do that, then the poor tip is understood. YOU HAVE TO express your displeasure, otherwise you will blindside someone. Also, by telling them what your issue is, you give them a chance to correct it. If you tell them and nothing is done, THEN YOU JILT!
    A good example of this was one night when a waitress was real anxious to clear our table (took a plate that I wasn't really finished with yet) and then, as I sipped coffee and conversed with my wife, brought our bill and asked if I could pay now because she wanted to go home. I got SO PISSED. WHO THE FUCK WAS SHE to cut my dinner off short so she could go home. I paid the bill via credit card with NO TIP, left and stopped a manager on my way out to tell him what the waitress did, why I did not appreciate it and why she got no tip.
    He apologized and gave me a coupon for a free dinner on next visit. He also told me not to worry about bad service when I came back because my table was her last at that establishment.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nope. the words ass nor hole were involved. ... and i'm not talking body parts.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

During my time of restaurant reviews, we ate at one place -- a local favorite -- and my tea glass was empty. Waiter would walk by, not look over, and I would move the glass closer to the edge of the table nearest the aisle. He walked by again, I moved the glass again. So on, until the glass was at the very edge of the table. He passed our table 12 times without refilling my glass. Heard from a friend who worked there that he got fired the day the review ran.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Well, if nothing else, this thread has reinforced the stereotype of restaurant critics being insufferable jackasses.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I wasn't an insurrerable jackass that meal, although I'm sure I have been at other times. I was just trying to get some more iced tea. The waiter was the jackass who passed my table a dozen times without refilling it.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dude, I don't know how to politely tell you this, so I'll just come out and say it.

You're a dick customer, and people have done disgusting things to your food. You're eating some fry monkey's semen. Sorry.

I'd never go to a place twice, if I were you.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Come on baby leave some change behind
    She was a bitch, but I don't care
    She brought our food out on time
    And wore a funky barrette in her hair

Come on baby leave some change behind
    She was a bitch
    But good enough to leave some change
    Everybody's good enough
    For some change

The girl's got family