1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to stiff the waitress

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Me too. I do that all the time at a bar I regularly go to. It will come back to you in the end. You certainly won't break even but you will get a free drink from time to time and much better service.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Was at Pleasure Island in Disney World a few years ago and ran up a tab at a bar. When I get it, I noticed a drink I didn't order was on there. When I said as much, she just got that beer and gave it to me as I was paying, and then charged me for that one too. She got zilch.

A few weeks ago I was out and the only time I saw our waitress was when she took our order. Drink refills? Nope. I'm talking a good 30-45 minutes with no contact at all. Finally we had the hostess get our check. It took another 10 minutes to pay it. I didn't pay this one, but I was a tad bothered that there was any tip at all, much less what you would pay for decent service. It was better that I bit my tongue on that one though.

And if it's one of those days where I'm somewhat fussy, I'll be apologetic about it, and also tip accordingly. My bartenders that know me get close to 50 percent from me in tips. Always always tip your bartenders well, especially if you're a regular.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, once again. My tab was 25 bucks. But since the manager comped the drinks for the problems with the food, the actual tab was higher than that. More like 40.
    It's like tipping against a coupon. If the tab is 50 and you have a 10 dollar coupon, you still tip against the 50 and not the 40.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

... as soon as she bends over.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's still more than 30 percent for shitty service. You proved your point, it seems, and the waitress improved, but that's still a lot for a substandard effort.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

To the people who have worked as waiters/waitresses, is asking to see the manager ever looked upon as insutling to you? Seems like the manager would speak with the waiter and maybe get them a chewing-out. The waiter might then hold it against the customer if they ever return -- thus ensuring the same result, as far as anger and attitude, as not leaving a tip in the first place. Seems like a lot of effort on the customer's part to still have someone put pubes in their salad.
    Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From my server days, I remember bad tips on big groups the most. I worked at a sports bar (part-owned by an NFL lineman) that had a big party room, and when I was assigned that for the night I knew I'd be in trouble. I distinctly remember one guy who thought his bill was negotiable. I waited on himself and his 30 buddies all night, the bill was like $550 or something and he offers me 5 c-notes and says "we good?" No, I say, we not good, your bill is $550. So he scrounges up another $50, uncrumpling every last bill from his pocket, and I knew I'd be screwed on the tip. Sigh.

Today I'm pretty sympathetic and just can't stiff anyone. But I'm annoyed by the trend I've seen of servers taking, say, your $20 bill on a $12.30 tab, making change at your table and saying "do ya need the 70 cents?" You're just supposed to say "no" and then leave two more bucks, which would make the tip over 20 percent. Saying "yes", of course, sets you up to look like a stingy fucktard.

8. On the topic of tipping, in restuarants I tend to tip about 25% with average service (I work in service so my expectations are low to begin with). The most recent tipping experience I had came about a week ago at the place where I get my hair cut. It's a small place that probably doesn't see a ton of service, but they always do a good job making sure my hair looks nice. But what gets me is they remember my first name every time. Before about a week ago, the last time I went there was last May since I was out of town all summer and then let my hair grow out during the winter, and one of the ladies there still remembered my name. Since my hair was long and I wanted a short haircut I decided to tip $7 on a $13 cut. I can only hope that the people there will remember this and make sure my hair looks perfect again next time.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I always tip for a haircut... have for years and it still looks this bad
    But since I prefer going to a barber, not a stylist, it isn't that much...

Draft saved Draft deleted