1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to stiff the waitress

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So I eat lunch at a sit-down barbecue joint today, and the service is horrible. Abysmal, even. I was there for an hour and the only drink refill came from the host, not the waitress. Between the time she took the order and brought the check, the only time she asked if everything was OK she was just passing by and barely slowed down. And after bringing the check, I had it sitting on the table with my card in the billfold for 10 minutes before she picked it up. All of this was after the lunch rush (about 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.) and there were maybe six other customers in a pretty big restaurant. Most of the time, she was within eyesight.
    So, of course, I stiffed the sorry hobag on the tip. But it got me to thinking, what's the threshold for doing that? Would it have been better to round off the check to the nearest dollar (in this case, it would've been a 33 cent tip) to prove a point or just leave nothing? And if you do decide to stiff on the tip, is it safer to use the debit/credit card (where, theoretically, the waitress could go over your head and write something in) or pay cash?
    Discuss....

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I tip according to service.

One night, my family and another family sat down at a local steakhouse. It was 7 p.m. on a Saturday, but the place wasn't even half full. Our waitress was the worst ever. She messed my friend's order up four times, and when she almost got it right, the BBQ ribs had the wrong sauce. Our kids ordered milk, which was warm. We never once got a refill of our drinks except from the manager. She never brought out the free basket of rolls. And she messed my wife's order up. And to top it off, my friend's bill was about $5 too much. After she "corrected" it, it was still off by about a dollar. But he went ahead and paid.

On the line where you put the tip, both of us wrote "Right ..."

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I try hard not to stiff them all together, but rather prove the point. We don't do a lot of sit down meals, though. Most of the time, we're actually just picking the food up and then we don't tip because it's usually a hostess that has to do that stuff anyway.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
    Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
    Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
    Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
    Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
    Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make shit.
    Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.
    Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a fucking Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
    Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
    Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
    Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
    Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
    Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that

Mr. Pink: I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's fucked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bullshit I got two words for that: learn to fuckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big fuckin' surprise.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

My god, have I wanted to stiff so many waitresses in the past two years. I even got the phone number from one, but she never called me back. I know that's not what this thread is about, but I have a serious thing for waitresses. Especially when they dress all in black.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I think tipping something like 10 cents sends more of a message than no tipping at all, especially if you leave a note asking the waiter if he/she really thinks he/she earned more than that.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

ohhh.. Sportschick is gonna yell at you!

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I got a tip as a waitress once that was as much as the bill, AND had some kid's phone number on it. There was no interest, especially since I think he was like 5 years younger than me (hi sportschick and cradlerobber!), but it was a sweet gesture.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Do your job and I'll tip 20% minimum, but treat me like shit and I'll express my displeasure in the most meaningful way possible.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

CU, I think it's usually best to try to go for it before you order dessert.. maybe in lieu of dessert.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

You were more than justified in stiffing the waitress. I've stiffed many a times for poor service. Also given up to 30-40 percent for great service.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

CU, Your child is adorable. That is all. Thanks for the adorable pictures that make the newsroom wonder why I'm randomly saying, "awwwww!"

Draft saved Draft deleted