1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to start sending resumes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by True Son, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Nah, you're cool.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for your understanding.

3. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

Two questions:

1. The internet sites sound great and all (even if they're fanboy sites, to me they're still better than going into PR or sports info), but where do you find those jobs? They're seldom posted on this site, and the ones I've looked into haven't even been lucrative enough to support a young, single guy like me. One place I interviewed at was offering 50 percent share in revenue for a two-man team, and if you busted your ass for two or three years, that revenue might be worth more than 300 bucks a month.

2. To all those who wouldn't recommend the industry to a newbie (I am among your ranks, btw), when did you change your mind? This is a selfish question, because two years ago I was getting into the industry and ignored the professors who told us that making good money would be "difficult". To a broke college kid, that didn't really register as a problem relative to where I was - making no money. I'm curious to know at what point the negatives of the business started outweighing the positives...is it that much worse now than two years ago? Sure seems like it is.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Gotta side with Tom here. I'm 26, had been in the business for five years (been out of it for two years) and loved every damn moment of it. Regardless if it was preps when I first broke in or covering the NFL team for a few years, it was great. What wasn't so great was the looming dark cloud over our heads (not to mention the unsatisfying pay).

So here I am now, living in basically paradise (Breckenridge, CO) and living the dream I wanted back when I was 17: a snowboard bum. Currently working for an AV company (summer time) and making pretty damn good coin and snowboarding every damn day in the winter while being a lead tester in our terrain parks.

Not too bad for a guy with a history degree. So don't give me this crap about the world ending because you're graduating with a college freaking degree and you might not be able to get a job two weeks out of school.

Suck it up.

5. The Granny

The Granny Guest

History degrees in the hizzy.

6. tools, interesting name you chose. I'll leave that to speak for itself.

Now, for some advice, see what you can do as far as the dotcoms go. I've got several friends working for them now, a couple at bigger sites, and they are making excellent pay with excellent benefits. If you can land a decent Internet gig, then go that direction. Hope you find something, just don't look for it in newspapers because you won't find anything there.

7. Jesus fucking christ, who says I was complaining? I was TRYING to acknowledge all of the doom and gloom "GET OUT NOW!!1" comments from the veteran posters above me and hoping to avoid more of them, because it's not pertinent to my situation.

As for the name, it's a baseball reference. I'd think a board full of sports journos would get it. Google that shit.

Thanks for the advice, Huck. I just wanted to get a feel for what others thought about going the dotcom route.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow, thin-skinned much?

That won't go over well in the newspaper business. Also, you freaking out tells me you wouldn't handle deadline well.

9. Not thin-skinned, just annoyed at being told not to "come back here and bitch and moan" and "suck it up" when I was never complaining in the first place.

I handle deadline just fine, actually. I'm not sure why you think I'm "freaking out," but okay.

Forgive me for wanting actual advice and not snark and vinegar.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

also smells of fail to me, 'gola.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, you know full well how the young folks are. They want everything handed to them. From a professional beat to getting to choose their assignments to not having to do the dirty work of having to start as an agate monkey.

Just because the business is coming apart, doesn't mean they don't have to earn their stripes, which obviously annoys some.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ANNNNDDDD for freaking out because you don't like the answers to the question you posed. god, i remember being so much more grown up at that age.

Draft saved Draft deleted