1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to start applying for jobs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you were covering a game for that 2.5 hours, did you have to travel there and back? Did you have to prepare at all in advance?

2. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

some internships are unpaid becuase you get schools credit instead. i did one of those, but became a stringer for my senior year. worked out pretty damn well.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The New Yorker offers only unpaid interships. How many of you would have turned down one of those coming out of college? I'd have taken out loans or sold heroin just to pay the rent and get the experience.

Getting a job at a major paper right out of college requires neither elite internships nor a degree from an Ivy League school/journalism factory (Mizzou, Medill, Syracuse, ect), contrary to convensional wisdom. You just need a lot of talent and a little bit of luck. And you need to interview well. And be fearless. If that doesn't work, take chances and be aggressive. Move to the middle of nowhere so that you can get back to somewhere in a year or two, and bug editors until they can no longer turn you away.

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Damn you Don Muraco. Damn you and your big ass sandwich straight to hell.

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

You can have mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted