1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to go to two pages on a resume

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Jul 13, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are some things that each of us do that we don't think to put on a resume that would be relevant if we're looking at half-pagers.

Did you win some kind of award? Did your section editor consistently put you in charge when she wasn't around? Are experienced staffers consistently pointing to you and telling newcomers "IJAG knows what she's talking about. Ask her if you need anything." Did you develop a new system or improve an existing one?

If you're looking to cut, those are things you can mention in an interview, but if you're looking to add, they might draw attention.

2. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

At my last place, anytime I got any compliment, or did something where I felt I significantly helped in some way, I wrote it down briefly in a notebook along with the date. My resume doesn't have much room for it so I try to include some of the best ones in the cover letter. I'll also make copies of any official form of recognition from my employer in with my clips, letter and resume.
    Hasn't led to any interviews yet, though. :-( But I figure it helps.

3. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Two stops in 10 years? Nice. I wish I was that stable.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't remember last time my resume was one page instead of two. Hasn't hurt yet.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Mine's been two for eons. It's worked for newspaper jobs.

6. forever_town

Updating this (and not because I'm chazp or d_b), but when I went to the local one-stop career center for feedback about my resume, the person there told me employers are now saying one to two pages.

Interesting...

7. jps

jps Active Member

well, this employer doesn't like two pagers. well, one page for resume, one for references.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ahh, yes, this old chestnut.

Be concise but complete. If you have to go two pages, do it. Don't ever sell yourself short.

That said, most people can make do with one.

9. forever_town

When I would interview people for jobs, I'd never want to see a two-pager. But I was looking for entry level reporters, not people with experience.

The guy I hired had a one-page resume and a separate page with references. The references included detailed information about who the person was, what his relationship was with the person listed and other information. I used that model later on when I wrote a list of references for myself.

10. lono

lono Active Member

If U R a Super Genius, your resume can fill an entire website. ;)

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Bingo.

Today, especially in an age of job migration -- and especially in an age with loads O' job hunters -- I don't see how anyone with a semblance of a work history that goes beyond entry level could keep it to one page and not sell yourself short.

My resume is two pages. A headhunter I talked to on a flight said that's no big deal these days.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the pics of the super hot chicks alone takes up several pages.

Draft saved Draft deleted