1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to call back for status check after an interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Apr 29, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

*** I'm an idiot. Posted on the wrong board. Wish I could use alcohol consumption as an excuse here.

I seem to be asking myself this question each time I interview for a new gig.

A week or so ago, I had a phone interview with a place.

Two days later, I completed a copy editing, sports knowledge test on the computer for this place.

After sending the test back to the administrator/hiring manager, I asked what the next step was.

She told me she they would be in contact with me, probably within a week. That was 10 days ago. I want to know what's going on. I'm anxious to get the call back for the in person interview. So do I call to remind them/ keep my name fresh in their head? Or does this type of thing drive employers crazy?

I also checked my test answers over, and based on my responses I did really well. What would everyone else out there do? Besides whine about it on a message board?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You've waited long enough. Plus, it's a hiring manager. She's paid to deal with these things. If the sports editor was your source, maybe I'd be more leery about firing off a note every week. But to a hiring manager, have at it until you get an answer.

3. fremont

fremont Member

Good advice. If it's the SE, maybe fire an email a week or so later and then wait another two weeks or so before firing off another one. With staff reductions SE's even at some bigger papers are taking on a little more grunt work, so expect a little while to hear back from them.

Interestingly (to me if to nobody else), I've done dailies for over six years, worked at two of them and have never landed a job through the traditional "interview" process - I owe my whole career basically to knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time...

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

For my most recent job, I think I called the SE about once a week to check on the status. He was very gracious, and willing to spend a few minutes a week to give me an update on how things were going (there were some unusual circumstances that delayed the process by about a month). But I don't think there was anything pushy about it. Although, he had said at the interview to keep checking back with him periodically, so that probably made a difference.

5. fremont

fremont Member

I might take something like that for a sign that he expects a bit of persistence....that's one trait you definitely need in this line of work.

Draft saved Draft deleted