1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Tiger(s) Attack

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Dec 25, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm left-handed, so, yes. I can do the shocker with my left hand. But I can't cut paper with my left hand. Imagine that.

Regardless of who's at fault, the zoo will be sued, and it'll probably, lose, too. People are fucking dumb. If a person dangels his arm, leg or cock in a tiger's cage ... fuck him. But it won't matter at all because someone's dead, and the zoo will probably settle to keep the publicity to a minimum. Idiots in this country benefit by a fucked system, at times. And it blows.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree on most of that, but if the enclosure wall wasn't at the proper height, the zoo was negligent and deserves to get sued. What if it had been some little kid that just didn't know any better hanging a toy over the edge? Maybe it was just for a few seconds before mom or dad pulled them away, but it was enough to get the tiger's attention? Obviously that isn't what happened, but it could have. There should be no way for the animal to get out.

And any zoo that isn't prepared to protect stupid customers from themselves is being naive at best.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which still doesn't answer the question as to why, on that particular day at that particular time, the tiger chose to escape.

I'm sure these two innocent misunderstood boys who are completely stonewalling the cops did absolutely nothing to provoke the tiger.

The zoo will get sued and will settle out of court but, until proven otherwise, I refuse to believe these two shits weren't teasing the animal.

4. outofplace

Oh, I'm sure somebody teased the animal. But do you really think that is so rare? People are idiots at the zoo all the time. It's not right, but it is reality. And the zoo should be prepared for it and make sure they are at least living up to the accepted standards of protection for the customers.

5. Armchair_QB

I see no reason to protect customers dumb enough to provoke a wild animal to attack. If it is proved these three idiots provoked this attack zoos all over the world need to make examples of these assholes.

Don't want to get eaten? Don't fuck with the animals.

6. outofplace

These things are regulated for a reason. This enclosure was apparently not up to specifications and somebody got killed at least in part because of that.

If the animal can get out, the zoo is at fault. Period.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

FWIW ... and as the graphic shows ... it's no so simple as hanging something over the edge. There's the five-foot grassy area, as well.

My based-on-no-facts whatsoever guess: That's where they were.

8. Armchair_QB

So the idiots that provoked the animal bear no personal responsibility for their actions? Fuck that.

9. SigR

SigR Member

Negligence in this case probably isn't an issue. The zoo is going to be culpable under the theory of strict liability, which basically means that no matter who screwed up, the zoo is still liable because they are the ones who chose to take care of a dangerous creature. Strict liability often applies to businesses/entities who engage in activities that are inherently dangerous. Displaying a wild animal who has a predatory/vicious instinct certainly falls under this doctrine.

The other point to make is that it doesn't matter whether the tiger had ripped someone's arm to shreds before. That's what tigers do, trained or wild. The theory goes that every dog gets one bite, and after the first one, the owner is liable for the dog's bites (because as a reasonable person, we should know that the dog presents a danger to other once it has shown a willingness to bite, whereas enough of the species are tame that they are afforded that one chance). With a tiger, there is no such leniency. And part of that is simply that one bite from a tiger often means maiming or death.

10. outofplace

So, and I think this does apply, Steve Irwin deserved to die?

11. Armchair_QB

Uh, no. He didn't deserve to die. But he certainly put himself in a position to be killed.

Of course that situation has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about here.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't think Irwin or anyone else who provokes an animal "deserves" to die, but it's certainly a risk that comes with those chosen actions, which makes them less of a victim -- and certainly garners less sympathy from me -- in my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted