1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Tiger(s) Attack

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Dec 25, 2007.

1. ARD

ARD Member

IIR the story correctly, there are no surveillance cameras at that zoo.

Also, LA Times has people refuting the earlier reports:

(Zoo Director Manuel Mollinedo) also denied published reports that quoted him saying that one of the victims had danged their arm or leg over the sheer wall, perhaps allowing the tiger to pounce and use it to climb out of the grotto.

Police Chief Heather Fong said published reports that a shoe was found inside the tiger grotto also were incorrect.

"The tiger must have escaped from the front part of the exhibit," Mollinedo said.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.optimum.net/News/AP/Article?articleId=367367

For those who want to blame the victims, the director of the zoo is now admitting that the wall around the enclosure was lower than the recommended height and the tiger did jump out.

I really hope they are sued out of business by the survivors and the family of the kid who was killed.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And, yet, had kid not been fucking around where he shouldn't have, there never would have been a problem.

4. outofplace

We don't even know that the kid did anything. That's one of the things that bothers me on this thread. We have conflicting reports, including denials from investigators regarding some of the speculation that led to people blaming the kid in the first place, yet a lot of people are ready to blame the kid who got killed. I don't even understand why.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Odd that the other two kids are refusing to cooperate with authorities. You'd think they'd want to get the truth out there to stop the speculation.

Unless, of course, they had something to do with the tiger getting out.

6. outofplace

7. But can you do the shocker with your left hand?

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Because tigers in zoos don't generally hurdle 33-foot moats and 12-foot walls without provocation?

Because every animal expert I've read has said the leap was impossible (though, admittedly, they may not have known the exact height of the wall).

Because police are analyzing a footprint atop the wall.

Because the tiger *allegedly* never even went near the moat, being content to hang out at a different part of the exhibit.

Gee, why would anyone think the kid could possibly be at fault?

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

From the Chronicle:

My new hypothesis: They fed his ass to the tiger.

10. outofplace

Did you even read the last article linked above? Even the zoo's director is saying that it is looking like the tiger did get out on its own. And the loudest "expert" was Hanna, and he is backtracking now. I also read one yesterday that the part about the investigators denying the report about the footprint.

Edit: mustard's posts make me wonder what the heck happened. But that is actual information, not the speculation that has been driving much of this discussion.

If the enclosure wasn't up to specs, the zoo is at least partially at fault. Period.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Actually, I just looked at a graphic on sfgate and it looks like the zoo's fucked.
    And I *still* think the kids caused it.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted