1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the Food Network comes to your town

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 10, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Hilarious.

2. KP

KP Active Member

I got 8 seconds of laughter out of that. Bravo.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

To be semi-serious for a moment, I agree with Pallister: The chintzy tipping makes her look bad. I know you're "on a budget," but it just makes her look cheap. I surmise that most people in her audience make a fraction of what she makes but would tip better, even on a budget.

And I've read, albeit in Page Six-like gossip pages, that Rachael isn't all that nice off-camera. But I ate at a restaurant she touted during $40 a day in upstate NY (Brooks BBQ, fucking fantastic) and in the lobby there's a photo of her with the owners all sporting mile-wide grins. So who knows? Maybe she just turns it on and off.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd rather have her do lunch and dinner and just skip breakfast.
    If you eat breakfast on vacation, it will most likely be the free one at the hotel.
    I also wouldn't count tips in the $40.

And the buzz here was that she was supposed to make some appearances, do a cooking demo and was a no show for everything. Made more than a few people angry.
    On the other hand, the places she praised, are all running ads talking up how Rachel Ray loved eating there.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Yeah but on her show, she often will stop for a bagel and tea or a cocktail will be included in the $40.

Um, of course they're sporting grins -- it's a BBQ joint that has a semi-hot chick walk in (albeit with size A- boobs) -- of course they're gonna be smilin.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

You know what $40 A Day I want to see? The one when she decides to blow all 40 bucks on an all-day booze bender.

"So heeeerree you zeeee you don't need to eat *hiccup* if you count the cherry in this drink as your food. Ask for several cherries *hiccup* and it counts as protein. Yes it does! Shut up! It's so delish *burp* I don't feel good."

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You captured SportsJournalists.com Masturbation Nation better than I ever have.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

40 bucks wouldn't be that much of a bender for Ms. Ray, would it? That's, what, three appletinis, a cosmo and a yellow Jell-O shooter? Girly drinks are expensive. Girls are expensive.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Rachael Ray drinks beer, at least on her show.

And BYH, just don't let her give you a handie. You get one look at the Lil' Young Hack in those man-paws, and you might be scarred for life.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I hate to quote from a horrible movie, but...

"Actually, it's not tipping I believe in. It's overtipping."

Or something like that.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

She'd have to if she was going to hit her $40 target. $4 bottle of microbew > $9 Lemon Drop

12. Giada DeLaurentiis(sp?) > Rachael Ray

Draft saved Draft deleted