1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the Food Network comes to your town

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 10, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So the Food Network was in town and they did a show on local eating joints.
    I watched and it threw me for a loop. It did a pretty good job of hitting some of the really good local places to eat, but they had a couple I had never heard of. Didn't even know they existed.
    And it wasn't just me. One of the places they showed is a regular stop and I had lunch there today. I was talking to them, telling them how I had seen the show. I then admitted that I hadn't heard of a couple of the places. And the girl said the exact same thing. All the other people there had never heard of them either.
    And this is the second place I have lived that has had a show done. The first time, they showed a breakfast joint and it was even in a neighborhood I was familiar with and I hadn't heard of it. My co-workers hadn't heard of it. The guy who did the reviews for the paper hadn't heard of it.
    It was just bizzare.
    So I'm wondering of anyone has had something similar happen in their town.
    Oh and the buzz around town is that Rachel Ray is a beeotch.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Are you trying to infer that these places you've never heard of are crappy places to eat, hence the reason you've never heard of them?

3. pallister

pallister Guest

She doesn't tip worth a shit (on the shows anyway); I'd be pissed if I had to serve her if that's really the case.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Paging BYH.

BYH, please pick up the yellow courtesy phone.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Uh-oh ... picking on Rachael Ray. This won't end well.

As for the Food Network, unless they were in Toronto when I was, fat chance I'll see them in my neighborhood. Unless they really want to see how we Super Size.

6. JayFarrar

No. The food looked good and the people they inteviewed loved it.
    Where I live isn't that gigantic, half-million or so. And in reality much smaller, since I can't seem to go somewhere and not know someone. So word gets around quick, so it just seems awfully odd that no one has seemed to have heard of these places. And if that's the case, how did the Food Network find them?
    And Rachel Ray is so last year. My heart beats fondly for the hottie italian and I must admit some fascination is developing for Cat Cora (SP?), the female Iron Chef and a hottie Greek.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'd do it, but I don't want to get pimp-slapped by Moddy tomorrow morning.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The Food Network show with Al Roker (Roker on the Road?) did a piece on a hamburger joint here in Tulsa that had awesome stuff. Little hole-in-the-wall place, but great burgers.

9. JayFarrar

Tulsa?
    You every make it to the hot dog and lamb place by TU?
    That place is freaking awesome.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

No, haven't gotten there yet. I'll have to check it out.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That reminds me of those sportsfan judgments based on a 10-second encounter with an athlete.

"He's a great guy." (Signed an autograph)

"He's a prick." (Didn't sign an autograph)

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Getting dissed by Rachael Ray would be awesome. And, in my case, probably well-deserved.

"Hey I have six copies of your FHM spread."

"Me and all my friends on a message board for mostly undersexed, overly horny and overweight sports writers talk about how hot you are all the time."

"My friend HockeyGoon has a cool avatar of you licking a spoon. Do you know what an avatar is?"

"My friends and I figure that since you like to cook and drink beer, there's only one thing standing between you and the title of coolest chick alive. So, you know, do you like to, you know, lick the spoon?"

"The jerks on the board say you're fat but I like the junk in your trunk."

"If I was with you, I'd give you an eight-second meal."

etc, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted