1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When layout goes wrong

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 4, 2012.

1. Prolly not what the Pittsburgh Trib.-Review had in mind when they drew it up.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Which is what the ME did when (s)he saw it the next morning, no doubt.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Is that today's?

4. I don't know the copyflow at the Trib, but that headline has to get past at least two, if not three people at our shop, depending on the day. And we have a really small shop. How did no one else see this before it got to print?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No, it's May 4th's.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There was nothing wrong in the headline for a copy editor or slot to see. The devil was in the reflection layer done in photoshop. Reflection of the lowercase "u" simply winds up looking like an uppercase "H".

Chances are a copy editor opened the file, saw a note from a designer that said something like, "I have a stylized headline on the photo that says "SUIT YOURSELF", and then the copy editor wrote a deck or cutlines based on that information.

Or perhaps the designer asked the copy editor to come up with a quick-hitting headline that would be done separately in photoshop.

In any event, nobody actually typed "SHIT YOURSELF" anywhere.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

And apparently it got caught somewhere along the way.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

The white guides stand out to me more than the reflection issue.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I don't have a copy of it...but my buddy said the LA Times placed a half-page marching band-themed JC Penney ad...on the same page as an article about the FAMU marching band hazing death.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I remember a paper had a lingerie ad on the same page as the jump of the Clarence Thomas hearings.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hey, shit happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted