1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Keeping It Real On Twitter Goes Wrong ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

#firstworldproblems

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I suppose the Twain comparison rings hollow if you think of Twain mostly as a novelist or historical figure. But Twain wrote millions of words of sharp political satire on deadline for newspapers, too.

So I'm not sure the comparison is outrageous on its face.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Did Twain hate everyone he disagreed with?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes, but he eventually agreed to be a contributor to Grantland.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

And Arthur Conan Doyle took the gig as ESPN Magazine back page columnist.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

But only after Tommy Craggs turned it down!!!

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Chris Jones tweets, of Stephen Rodrick, "Now that he's protected his account, like treasure, I'm afraid the fun has come to an end." But Rodrick's account isn't protected. Does this mean Rodrick blocked Jones? I don't know what it shows someone who you've blocked.

Anyway, I don't think anyone comes across particularly well in this fiasco, though I don't think it damages anyone much either. It appears Rodrick was caught in the middle of the Jones-Tom Scocca crossfire, so maybe he ends up the loser.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why assume a political writer/humorist/satirist hates anyone?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's because Pierce is a polarizing writer. He's unapologetically partisan, politically. And he's also a big-time stylist, as far as writing style goes.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Very true - but I'm pretty sure has nothing to do with how last night's Twitter feud started.

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Because it's a bore to read, for one.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

True, but I think it has a lot to do with how a lot of Pierce brou-ha-ha's on this site have started. For whatever reason, people are emotionally invested in Pierce's work, and I think a lot of it is because he's a love-him-or-hate-him writer, both with his politics and his ornate style. Ultimately, it's probably a net positive that people are that passionate about writing, even though it can lead to some fleeting ugliness.

Draft saved Draft deleted